Chapter 28: The package

. . . June 1st. . . 2011. .

. . . Chicago, Illinois. . .7:30 PM. . .

It turns out that in order to have a flat you must have currency; euro, dollars, coin, pounds,and yen to name a few. I had a job. That is one apparent fact. I worked as a librarian (Though the days I was in the hospital someone else filled my role) making sure that people were silent. I did enjoy the silence in the library, really, I did. Fifteen times did I catch teenagers making out in the historical section, fifteen times I kicked them out, and ten times did a young child come to me inquiring why there were two teenagers kissing in the children's section.

"Mr Heart!"

I had just closed the library looking over to see the two young teenagers, one was a young man in his late twenties and the other was . . . Rose Tyler?

I raised a eyebrow.

"Yes?" I said.

No, I thought, that can't be. . . I must be imagining this. I saw her photograph in the newspaper indicating she had been lost in a battle that occurred in London a couple years ago. She had short blonde hair, a blue jacket, those innocent but adventurous eyes, and she had on blue skinny jeans. The young man on the other hand appeared as though he was taken from a different era. He had desperate eyes. I noticed he lacked a right ear. Which was odd because in this era ears can be repaired by Midgard's version of healers.

"Is the library closed?" Rose asked.

"Yes." I said.

"Now I'll never get back!" The young whined, turning away.

I lowered my eyebrows quite puzzled by the man's reaction.

"Marcus," Rose said, coming over to the young man. "We can always come back in the morning."

"But I don't have a day to live!" Marcus said. "I have hours!"

I looked at the two oddly then walk across from the door on the sidewalk adjuncting the city slick stores with my hands in my coat pockets. I saw the signs on the top of these stores glowing. You don't realize how much work a librarian does when you are in their position. I dared myself to not use magic on the job. Turned out using magic was tempting. I only used magic to reorder books one time. . . and here's how it went:

I heard the sound of a child gasping.

I looked over to see a wide eyed seven year old girl and her eight year old brother staring at me.

"Yes?" I said.

I sent a book floating back into its shelf location.

"You. . ." The little girl said.

I smiled, then put one hand on my lips with a 'shhh' and a wink of an eye. I swayed my hand. "I am not a fairy." They were mind boggled, likely, watching the books float into their locations from the book tray. "This could be our little secret." I put one book into the shelf using my hand rather than magic. "I am a magician."

"We'll good at secrets." The little boy said.

I grinned.

"Good, because I am Merlin." I lied.

Their eyes widened.

"Really?" The two children said.

I nodded.

"I am," I said. "And if you are fine children. . . then you will not tell any adults."

The two children nodded.