Chapter 21: Concern

~Lucy's POV~

"Y-You're Natsu's mother?!" I exclaimed loudly, my voice echoing down the narrow hallway.

"Yes deary! And you must be Natsu's lovely girlfriend." I gulped, my head filling with confusion.

"Y-yeah, that's me." I showed a small smile as I leaned against the door frame. I tried to keep my cool, but it was proving to be quite difficult. Natsu had told me that both of his parents died in an accident when he was little.

"You are so beautiful." She grabbed one of my hands and cradled it. Her cheeks were full and rosy. She seemed like such a nice lady, but I couldn't contain my suspicions.

"Thank you very much." I replied politely. I started to sweat as the silence filled the air. Should I let her inside?
"Please, come in." I gestured that should could enter, and she did as followed.

"Wow, you two have a lovely home." She gazed around the living room, immediately pointing out the view.

"Well, it's mainly Natsu's. I'm just staying here for a little while." I shut the door and re-fastened my robe.

"I understand deary." She put her palm against the clean glass, peering out at the city below.

"Please excuse me for a moment while I go grab Natsu. There is water in the fridge if you would like. What's mine is yours." I think I did a magnificent job of showing my hospitality skills.

She simply replied by nodding her head. I quickly scurried to Natsu's room, gently opening the door.

Natsu was running a damp towel through his hair, shaking it violently. He turned to me with a smile, his aura pleasant.

"Hey Luce," Natsu said showing his familiar smirk.

"Hi, um," I awkwardly shut the door behind me.

"What's going on?" Natsu asked as he stood in front of me. Once again, his height towered, leaving me weak.

"Well, uh," I paused. I didn't take my eyes off of Natsu's, knowing that he would make me look at him. "Someone just came to the door claiming to be your mother." I just spit it out, I didn't want to be hesitant.

Natsu's expression instantly changed. He tilted his head in confusion, but suddenly began to laugh.

"Good one Luce, but you can't get me that easily." He crossed his arms and stared down at me.

"I'm not joking. I'm being completely serious. She's sitting in our living room right now." I don't know when it happened, but I grabbed Natsu's hands.

Natsu's pupils suddenly became very small, almost like little black slits. He had finally caught on to my serious expression and tone.

He walked past me, swinging the door open violently. I had to quickly run to catch up to him.

The brown haired woman turned to face us, a smile popping up on her lips.
"Oh Natsu, you look so grown up." She extended her arms out to Natsu, but he simultaneously took a step back.

"Who are you?" Natsu asked in a hasty tone. I grabbed his arm, his attention ultimately turning to me. I looked at him, praying for him to calm down.

"Please, sit. We need to talk." She sat down on our gray couch, patting the fabric as she sat. I started pulling Natsu towards the couch, tugging on his arm. Eventually he followed instructions, but he was very paranoid.

I sat in the middle of them, knowing that there would be some conflict. The tension in the room began to grow. As I stated at Natsu's supposed mother, I noticed their shared features. Natsu had his mother's large onyx eyes.

"Natsu, I-," His mother began to say something, but she couldn't finish her sentence.

"How did you do it?" Natsu asked, his brows furrowed.

"Well, I-," Natsu wouldn't let her continue.

"I was told 10 years ago that both my parents died in a car accident. Then you just randomly show up? Either I'm delirious, or you abandoned me."

I grabbed Natsu's hand, making sure he wouldn't do something he would regret.

"I had to give you up Natsu, but it was for a good reason." Natsu rolled his eyes and looked away from Ms. Dragneel.

"Do you even have the justice to call yourself a mother?" Natsu spat, not caring how much damage he was doing to his mother's poor heart.

"After your father died," she closed her eyes. "I couldn't control myself." She let out a sigh and shifted in her seat. "I went insane, I just couldn't comprehend that he was gone. I went through years of therapy, I even stayed in an asylum for three years. I didn't want you to see me like that."

"Really? You wouldn't want me to see my own mother? I thought you were dead. You really messed me up!" Natsu began to raise his voice, making me jump. He noticed that I was started and calmed down. His eyes were brimming with tears, making me extremely depressed.

"I know, I'm such a failure." Ms. Dragneel began to cry, her tears spotting the couch. "I should've at least told you I was alive."

"I don't even know how to process this." Natsu brought his hand to his forehead, rubbing his temples.

"I understand. Once again I'm so sorr-," Natsu cut her off again.

"What am I supposed to believe? Is dad alive too?" Natsu was shaking furiously, fear wielding up within me.

"No, he unfortunately is not. I wish I had been the one to die." She wiped the tears from her eyes, some slipping into her black skirt.

"Don't say that!" I suddenly blurted out. "Don't ever think of yourselves that way." She made a mistake, everyone does. That doesn't mean that you wish to die.

She looked stunned, her runny makeup staining her olive skin.

"I just need a little time to clear my head." Natsu said as he leaned back against the couch. He was rubbing his forehead, trying to sooth his headache.

"I completely understand." She stood up, snorting in the process.

"Please, come back tomorrow." I said as I walked her to the door.

"Thank you Lucy." She said as she exited the apartment. I shut the door with a sigh, the pressure lifted off my shoulders.

I walked towards Natsu with a bad feeling in my gut. Tears started rolling down my cheeks when I saw Natsu. He was crying, more than I had ever seen.

I ran into his arms, our bodies slamming together.
"I'm so sorry Natsu," I said between sobs.

"J-just let me hold you for a bit." He stuttered as his voice cracked. I ran my hands through his hair, trying to sooth him.

We just sat there is silence, both of us crying. I kissed Natsu's eyelids, trying to make the tears disappear. I did everything I could.

"You're real right?" Natsu muttered through a sarcastic laugh.

"Of course I am. I won't be leaving anytime soon, I promise." I laid my head on his shoulder.

"I love you," Natsu said as he closed his eyes.

"I love you too."