Part 4

Liam couldn't remember the last time he'd been so cold. Or tired for that matter. Jon made him be the "shovel man" until he learned to drive the truck and work the plow. That meant hours of moving heavy, wet snow off of sidewalks and porches. Had snow always been so heavy? It didn't snow like this where he lived. EVER. The borrowed clothes didn't fit right and let cold air reach his skin. Was this real life? Is that what people really do for a living?

"Let's go, City boy. Only 3 more houses until we are done for the day." Jon called from the truck. Liam sighed and walked over. He was glad for the warmth of the cab, even if it was for a short time.

"So, you do this everyday?" Liam asked.

"Naw. Only when it snows." Jon laughed. "Just wait until summer. That's the real work."

I'm not going to be here in the summer, Liam thought. By then, I'll have my head straight. By then, I'll be able to write music again. By then, I'll be ready to go back to the real world and leave this living snow globe behind.

An image of Penelope came into his mind. He pushed it aside. She was off limits. She had a boyfriend and her mother was the landlord. Plus, he wasn't sure he was ready to jump back into something right now. He still felt...Lost? That was the only was he could describe it. He didn't know what was next and it had been a very long time since that had happened. What do you do when you reached every goal you've set for yourself? He thought he'd settle down. Stay home. Be with her.

"Out, kid. We have work to do!"

Liam sighed and hopped of the truck. More snow to shovel.

By the time he got back to the inn, he was sore from head to toe and he couldn't feel his toes. He pushed open the door and saw Penny sitting on the couch, fire in the fireplace, reading a book and drinking something hot. She looked up and again he was struck by just how beautiful she was. She smiled.

"Do you need help?" she asked. Liam could only nod. She got up and walked over, helping him out of the jacket, coveralls and boots."You must be freezing! These don't even fit!" she exclaimed. "We can go into town later. Right now, you need to soak in a tub. Relax your muscles. You are going to be sore later."

"I'm sore now!" Liam complained. She laughed and led him to his room. His bed was made and he had fresh towels. Penny had been busy. She walked into the bathroom and turned on the tub for him.

"It's nearly lunch time. I'll make you a mug of soup and bring it to you. Warm your insides up!"

"It's only LUNCH?" Liam was dumbfounded. It felt like it had been days. How could it have only been 6 hours?

She smiled, nodded and walked out. Liam stripped and got into the deep tub, sliding down until only his head was out of the water. He could feel his toes start to unfreeze and it was painful. Every single muscle in his body was screaming at him. Even the toughest work out he'd ever had had never left him this sore. He sighed and tried to relax.

Minutes later, he heard a knock on the door. "It's me!" Pen called. "Pull the curtain and I'll give you this soup to drink. It will make you feel better. I should have fed you before you went out today."

Liam pulled the curtain and told her it was safe to come it. She handed him the soup and started to leave. "Don't leave!" Liam asked. She gave him a strange look and he said, "Just, sit and talk to me. I'm afraid I'll fall asleep and drown!"

Penelope laughed and sat on the closed toilet. "You will be fine! Just drink that. Then you're going to need a nap."

"I feel like I'm dying" Liam moaned. "How do people do this?"