Broken into Pieces - Chapter 8

“Nandini, you’re home early,” mom was in the balcony and taking care of the tomato plant.

“Yeah, the kid wasn’t ready today,” I partially told the truth. I am so bored right now! I decided to go and visit Serenity.

Serenity got a really nice hair cut. It was short, but curled towards the jawbone. It made her look younger, but pretty. Her summer was going by really nicely. I mean, she sold about three paintings so far, making a total of a whooping $120! I made sure that she’d treat me something with her earning. She told me: “In your dreams.”

Before going to bed, I checked my cell. Tristan sent me a message:

See you tomorrow at three. ;)

A wink? Alrighty then. If we’re meeting at three, that means we’re going to head outside. I went to my closet and check what I could wear.

I got up early morning and took a shower. After dad left for work, I told mom.

“I have a date.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Aren’t you going to say anything?”

“Nope. I know you’re smart enough to make the right decisions.” I started getting ready at two-thirty. I wore a cream coloured, floral summer dress that reached below my knees. It had a v-cut collar and nice, frilly sleeves. It felt incredibly light, but decent. But because of the thin material, I wore a small cardigan on top. I went through my sandals and took out a pair of peach coloured flats. The flats were plain, but shiny, with a cute bow at the top.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I was showing my legs like after ten years, and mom didn’t mind it at all. How on earth did I gain so much trust from mom after her talk with Tristan? I braided my hair once again into two pigtails and wore my large glasses. I don’t think Tristan would mind about how I look. I mean, relationships are not judged by the partner’s appearance, but by who they are.

“Mom, do I look fine?” I twirled around to make sure mom didn’t mind.

“Your skin is showing… Whatever. Just enjoy yourself and don’t let him get carried away.”

“Mom!” My face turned red. She was straightforward just like Tristan!

“Have fun and come before your dad finds out.” I kissed her cheeks and headed out. My relationship with Tristan was a secret from my dad because he would definitely oppose to me dating a date. In fact, if he found out, I’ll be married without consent. Yeah, that’s how he ruled over me. I didn’t like that personality of his though. I thought it was nasty.

My phone rang at three-fifteen.

“Are you ready?” Tristan asked.

“Yeah. Were you waiting for a long time?”

“Kind of… Don’t worry about it. I can wait for you for an eternity.” He hung up.

For an eternity? I smiled.

Tristan was leaning against his car, with his arms crossed. He wore a washed out, dark blue baggy jeans that – thank god – not exposing his butt or even dropping down. You have no idea how much I hate that fashion. He looked mature that way too. He wore a black t-shirt and a loose, sleeveless cardigan. Okay, I don’t know how to describe it to you, but the way Tristan dressed was not like a high school student. He looked mature, and incredibly hot.

He noticed me, and looked pretty shocked.

“Whoa, you look really nice,” he took my hand and kissed it.

“You don’t look bad yourself,” I smiled. We sat inside the car.

“Where are we going?” I asked.