Part IX: Flash Forward Farewell

"I can't believe how warm it is out here." Iris looks down at her thin sweater.

"I know. A preview for Florida, I guess. It's only fifty degrees, though, and you decided it's warm enough not to wear a coat." Liden examines with a goofy smile.

"You're wearing a t-shirt." She points out, looking at him skeptically. "Unless you're practicing for winter in the always-warm Sunshine State like a total meanie." Liden continues to smile and reaches over to ruffle his friend's loose hair. Not today buddy, I've gotten too quick at dodging you. She ducks from his reach and smacks his arm. "Yeah, you are a jerk by the way. You told me you'd be a few hours away, knowing I would think by driving."

"Hey, not fair! It is a few hours away . . . by plane."

"Like I said, meanie," She elbows him in the side, making him dramatically wince and pretend to fall to the ground before picking himself up. "Almost fourteen hours by car."

"Two by plane." He counters. She glares at him. "Okay, I'm sorry. It never came up in conversation." The glare intensifies, and he tries not to laugh. "I also didn't want to bring it up. Please, forgive me?"

Iris stops for a moment, tapping her chin and pretending to be contemplating his offer. He makes a puppy dog look at her, causing her serious facade to end. "Don't worry, if I can forgive what you did that crazy day, I can forgive you now." 

"Goddess, what I almost did. What I almost did. And I apologized before I did it." He reminds, giving her a quick side hug before continuing their ascent.

"Whatever you say, you crazy monster-chasing maniac."

"I just love you so much."

"I know."

Iris and Liden are walking to the highest point in town, where the entirety of their home can be seen in one expanse. It seemed fitting to them, being able to see the whole town at once the day of Liden's departure. It was the last time he would see the view as a life-long Marylandian. At least that is what the two teenagers call themselves. It was impressively warm and clear-skied for a late-January morning. They continued to chat, not about the impending changes, but rather as what they usually would talk about. They talked about school, family, and especially the new episodes of their favorite shows. It seemed like any other day, except it was the last time they would see each other for however long. After being together at least multiple times a week for a few years, it was going to be very difficult.

I'm really going to miss you. 

"I think I'm going to go by Jace in Florida. A new face in a new place, you know?" As Iris laughs, he gets a funny expression on his face as he realizes what he just said. "Wow, I did not do that on purpose."

"I like it, and Charlotte always tried to call you that anyway. It has a nice ring to it too, and now people won't act like you're kidding when you introduce yourself."

Liden laughs. "That's true. I've talked a bit on Facebook about the move, and I joined the page of my future high school. Some people reached out to me already, which is pretty awesome. I told them that I'm Jace, and that my family and I are moving to there soon."

"Ooh, mysterious Liden with a secret kick-butt identity. Nice, the ladies will like that."

He rolls his eyes at that comment. Then, a thought comes to his mind. "I was actually planning on asking you to prom, you know, as a friend. I guess I can't do that now."

Iris just smiles at him. "I'll go with a group of friends, don't worry about it. In your honor, I'll refuse any guy that would ask me, which I'm sure would be none."