My Sad Endings

~The Ultimate Sacrifice~

It has been a little over 5 weeks now. 5 weeks I've been in the Hunger Games. There was about 4 of us left. I was allied with one of them. His name was Joe. He was from District 11. He was Rue's brother. I had known Rue. She held a big piece in my heart. In my last games, before I was picked for these ones I had allied with her. She was probably the smartest out of all of us, but too young to fight as being only 12 years old and her first games like mine. I have dreams of her. I see her in my sister. When she died it felt like my heart broke. For the little time I knew her she was like a sister. In my first games Peeta died. He was killed by Cato on top of the cornucopia. He to was just to young to die.

"Katniss?" I turn my head to see Joe. His hands full of the nuts we've been eating for the past 2 weeks. I wasn't picked for these games I actually volunteered again. I didn't want this little girl dying at such a young age like Rue had. Everyone was shocked at my choice, but I did what I had to do to save her.

"Sorry I was thinking," I told him. He set the nuts into our little food pile and looked at me. He reminded me a lot of Rue.

"So you never answered my question. Why did you volunteer for that girl in your district. You could've stayed alive and be home with your mom and sister." I smile.

"I didn't want her to end up like your sister. Rue was an amazing little girl. I'm proud to say she's like a sister to me. I don't want little girls to be killed anymore. I'm tired of seeing these children playing in these games and coming out with nothing. Just because you win doesn't mean your not coming back. You never get off that train. Something Haymitch told me. But I want to try to save anyone I can. That is why I volunteered for that girl."

"And that was very brave of you. I'm sorry you had to watch my sister die. I know it wasn't your happy ending, but she would be very proud you won for her. Did you ever love Peeta though?" He asked. I knew the answer to this one.

"Of course. He was the only one who actually showed true affection. I never wanted him to die either, but out of the games you can only have one winner right? But yes I love Peeta. I still do. How about we sleep. It's dark out and I'm expecting the Gamemakers have something planned tomorrow," I told him. He nodded. I was prepared for tomorrow. If anyone was going to win it would Joe. He needs to win for Rue and for me.

------------------------------------------------------

The smell of smoke woke both Joe and I up. It was like my first games. The trees were on fire. We quickly jump and run the other direction. They were doing this to lure us to the other tributes. I got my arrow ready.

"Get ready. We're about to fight," I said gritting my teeth. We crash out of the woods and towards the cornucopia. I could see the tributes from 1 and 5. Surprised they even allied together. I aim and shoot. My arrow sinking into 5's left leg. I reach back to pull another arrow and aim. The girl from one ducked my blow and charged towards me. I felt a shaking and everyone stopped what they were doing. The ground was cracking apart and the girl from one stepped back away from me. It was to late and when she tried jumping to me she fell in between. Her screams only lasted for a few second before the ground closed. The boy from 5 had a knife in his hands and was ready to aim. Joe was standing next to me, ax ready in his hand.

"This is it. Just the three of us," the boy said. I glare, arrow ready to find it's target.

"Joe stay behind me. I don't want you here," I said.

"What about you?" He asked.

"I'll be fine. I know how to fight," I told him. Its true. Since my last games I've been training. Something that I have always done.

"Lets go," district 5 said. I glare at him again and he charged for me. I let my arrow fly and it lands in his other leg. He howls in pain and throw his knife which slices my cheek. I pull out another arrow, but something stops me.

The knife heading towards Joe. Rue's brother. Something snaps in me. He can't die. Everything is in slow motion. I let my arrow fly, it hits 5 in the heart, I start running towards Joe, and grab him and felt a pain in my lower abdomen. I look down and see the knife sunk in my stomach.

"Oh my God," I said and I fall to my knees holding my stomach.

"Katniss. What did you do?" I fall on my back and look up at Joe.

"I sacrificed myself so you could live. I needed you to win for your sister," I told him.

"You should've been the one to win," he said. I chuckle and then wince.

"No, it had to be you. Out of all of us I wanted you to win. Just think now you and your family don't have to worry about the games. And I wanted to sacrifice, because like Rue your like a brother to me." I see him smile and nod.

"Thank you for protecting me," he said. I smile and cough. Blood was starting to come up. I swallow.

"Please... please when you see my... family... tell them I... I love them," I was starting to stutter. My vision was becoming blurry and I was scared. Tears started falling down my cheeks.

"Of course. If you see my sister let her know she hasn't been forgotten." I smile and look up at the sky. My vision was now blurry and I couldn't see.

Goodbye mom.

Goodbye Gale.

Goodbye Prim.

I let my eyes close and everything went black, but before I went I could hear the Canon go off and I was gone from the world.

___________________________________

Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your eyes
And when they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe and here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
When again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe and here it's warm
And here the daisies guard you from every harm
And here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

I look around. Someone was singing and it was beautiful. I recognized the song as I sang it to Rue when she was dying.

"Katniss?" I know that voice. That voice belonged to Peeta. I turn around to see it was him.

"Its you," I said.

"I saw what you did. You sacrificed yourself to save him." I nod and heard the singing again. I look around, but couldn't see where it was coming from.

"Look behind the tree. She's been waiting for you," Peeta said. I did as he said and walked towards the tree. As I look behind the tree I see the one girl who died at a young age.

"Rue." I see her look up at me. She smiled and got up and hugged me.

"Thank you for saving my brother," she said. I nod.

"He deserved it," I told her. She smiled and felt Peeta's arms wrap around us. We were a family.

But I knew Rues family would appreciate my sacrifice to save Joe, but I am sorry for leaving my family. They'll always be in my heart and I'll be in theirs as I watch over them from above.

~SO I didn't really plan on having my ending end like this, but it turned out good. Hope you e hoyed this chapter. Comment, Vote, or Share. Stay Beautiful!!!!