Chapter 38

I awake to a ruckus in the main, front room and stand to go figure out what's going on. I've been out of the infirmary for two days, and no one has any idea that I'm up and about except for a few people. I find my knife and stalk out of the room.

       "We aren't taking any more refugees until our leader's checked you," I hear Kasey scream.

       "Then get him out here, now!" I hear an unfamiliar voice yell.

       "She is busy at the moment," Kasey says putting emphasis on the 'she' part.

       "You got a woman as your leader. Y'all are nuts!" the voice screams.

       "Ahem, I'm their leader, and you can stop being sexist," I yell at the top of my lungs so everyone hears me over the commotion. All heads turn to my powerful voice, and everyone falls silent.

       "You're the whacko chick that took over our electronics twice!" the voice yells back.

       "I was trying to help other people out," I say coming to the front of the group.

       "Yeah, whatever. You wanna help us out, you can let us in," he says.

       "How many are with you?" I ask. I feel a presence on either side of me and notice that Jim is now on my left and Calvin is on my right, both are surveying the scene.

       "'Bout ten of us. We lost at least twenty on our way here. If y'all turn us out, we ain't gonna have nowhere to go," the boy says starting to look desperate. I look at Calvin and Jim for advice. They both nod, and I turn back to the scraggly, dirty boy in front of me. He's got brown hair and hazel eyes, and I'm guessing he's around five foot nine.

       "What do you have to offer us, stranger?" I ask.

       "Can we talk in private where there isn't so much commotion?" the boy asks. He sounds like he's around fifteen years old.

       "Keep them under control. The boy and I are going to have a chat," I say. I motion him forward, and he follows me to a conference room.

       "To answer your question, we are all able bodied fighters. A couple of us can make almost anythin' work and create awesome things. Some of us are good at growin' food, and we have a few that are amazin' medics," the boy says.

       "That sounds helpful, stranger. By the way, my name's Delilah," I say extending my hand.

       "Nice to meet ya. Name's George," he says shaking my hand.

       "Well, I think I'll let you and your group in, but keep this warning and share it. If someone screws up they get two more chances, and then they're out of here. When you get out there divide your people into groups of skill, and I'll send them off from there. Does that sound fair?" I ask.

       "Sounds perfectly wonderful," he says walking from the room. I follow him out, and when I get down to the two groups of people I see the newcomers sitting along the wall, and my group of people are watching them. George goes to his people, says a few quick words, and starts sorting. When they are all sorted I have some of my people direct them to the places where they are going to work, and I watch them as they go. I know that George has already told them what's going on and how things are going to work because I watched him talk to them. After everyone has dispersed Kellin approaches me and kisses my forehead.

       "You got that to go really smoothly, babe. I'm so glad you're so smart. I couldn't have done that, and I'm pretty sure no one else could've either. I'm so proud of you," he says.

       "Aww thanks, baby. It was a bit stressful though. I can take a bit of stress though. I just gotta stay up and about, even though I want to heal the poor people in the infirmary. I guess I'll just have to wait for now," I say looking at the ground with an upset look.

       "Don't worry about it. They'll be just fine," he says tilting my head up, so I look him in the eyes.

       "Are you sure? I remember that you said the two kids were barely hanging in there. I don't want to risk losing them," I say.

       "I have an idea," he says smiling.

       "What's your idea?" I ask.

       "Partially heal them. You know just to make sure they'll live," he says.

       "That's brilliant!" I exclaim quietly.

       "Really?" he asks.

       "Yes!" I exclaim before sprinting for the infirmary. I get there, take care of everyone, and then leave. I meet Kellin in the room we've been sleeping in because I'm tired after that. I should probably practice healing, so my body gets used to it, and so it doesn't drain me so much.

       "Welcome back. How'd it go?" Kellin asks as I walk in.

       "Pretty good, except I am so tired now," I say. I then yawn massively, and if possible I probably look like a lion.

       "Aww I'm sorry. Also are you sure you aren't related to a lion?" he asks jokingly.

       "Yeah, I'm sure. Unless something weird happened in the past," I say with a laugh.

       "Yeah, wouldn't that be interesting," he says laughing as well.

       "I need to sleep I think. I'm so tired. Love you," I say while collapsing to the floor.

       "Love you too," he says collapsing in the spot where we normally sleep. I look at him with a questioning look on my face. He reaches over and grabs my arm before pulling me over to him. "You didn't think I'd let you stay that far away did you?"

       "Nope. I know you too well," I say with a smile. I snuggle into him, and he wraps his arm around me. I lay my head on his chest so I can listen to his heartbeat. He smiles, and I can hear his breathing, which is also a very interesting rhythm. I love every part of him. I fall asleep listening to my two favorite rhythms in the world.