Our Preserve

Sadie gave a satisfied sigh as she emerged headfirst from the crystal clear water. She turned so that she was floating on her back and she stayed there, enjoying the peace and serenity in the hippocampus bay. At least, until her mother came and yelled at her.

"Sadie! Get out of the water now!" Sadie gave a groan as she opened her eyes. She glanced over at the shore, where her mother was standing with her hands on her hips. Sadie thought for a moment and with a laugh decided another quick dive wouldn't hurt to much. She dove back under the water, staring at the beauty around her. All of the hippocampi herds swimming around her added to the magic that she felt every time she was in the water. She reemerged at the edge of the dock that stood at the edge of the bay.

"Hi Mom." She said cheerily, grabbing the towel she had left on the dock and wrapping it around herself. "What's up?" She asked as she began to wring out her short blonde hair.

"Sadie Cooper, you know that you aren't allowed to swim in the waters with the creatures. It's not safe." Her mother scolded her and Sadie couldn't help but roll her eyes.

"Oh Mom. It's the safest thing in the world. Besides, I am going to be caretaker someday. I need to know the preserve like the back of my hand. Which, I already do. See? Perfectly safe." She smiled at her mom again as she slipped on her sandals.

"Oh really? Well , Ms. Future Caretaker, did you forget that we have the special visitors coming any minute?" Her mom asked and Sadie shook her head.

"No, I remember. I'm going to go put some clothes on and greet them. I'll be five minutes, tops."