Chapter Two

It was hours before they arrived at the farm.

Farm. The word was almost enough to make him feel physically sick. Of all the places his father could have sent him, it just had to be Waley-fucking-place.

Zack set his jaw as the car pulled to a stop up the long driveway. In the dark, he saw that the porch light was on, and standing there was –

Zack let out a groan, and flung the door open, getting out. He was sure to slam the door as hard as he could, as well before shoving his hands in the pockets of his shorts. Travers climbed out and shot him a look from over the top of the BMW, before walking to the back of the car, and pulling two suitcases out of the back of the car.

'Oh boy. Thank you for packing all of my belongings, dad. It sure was swell of you!'

He snatched the cases from Travers, and then paused for a moment, before asking if his laptop had been packed.

The man snorted. "I didn't pack your bags, kid."

Zack gritted his teeth and turned away from the car onto to run into someone. Stepping back, he looked up and scowled at the man. Riley. His step brother looked as high and mighty as he usually did whenever Zack was unfortunate enough to be near him. He hadn't seen him since Easter, and already the teen felt that it was far too soon.

It sounded like Zack hated the man.

He didn't, not really. He simply had a general disliked for him.

Had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that his whore of a mother married Zack's father not long after the initial divorce of the teen's parents.

Absolutely nothing to do with that. Really.

"Did you need some help?"

"Fuck off, Riley." Zack snarled and shoved past the man.

He dragged his bags behind him, not giving a shit if the material began to fray. The most his father could have done was give him the cases with wheels. But no, apparently the wheeled ones were too above him.

Was he seriously upset about suitcases?

Well, no. But he wanted to be mad at something and no matter how easy a target he may have been, Riley was not the right one. Zack wasn't feeling shitty enough to target the innocent. Not yet, at least.

He would just wait until the man actually did something to piss him off. Then he would snap at him.

He stormed up the steps, hoisting the suitcases after him, and entered the house.

"Holy fuck," Zack cursed as warmth hit him with a jolt. The heat of the forthcoming summer was evident inside the old farm house. There had been a slight breeze outside, but inside felt like a sauna. Hadn't Riley ever heard of air conditioning? He even asked as much.

"Language." Said a voice from behind him. Zack twitched. "And air conditioning is expensive, Zack. It's not like we need it, anyway. We survive just fine out here. We have ceiling fans." Riley responded, unconcerned with Zack's behaviour. "And keep it down. Everyone is asleep."

"Whatever. Where am I staying? I'm tired."

"Mm." Riley responded, apparently agreeing with the teen, and motioned for him to follow as he began to walk down the hall. He paused at the third door and opened it, switching on the light.

It was small, Zack noted as he looked around. Neat as well. It was also fucking hot in there. Zack had no idea how he was supposed to sleep in there.