Chapter 1

Now there were many rumors surrounding the enigmatic Miss Nora Kingston. Some said that she was indeed born of noble blood, this theory of course, was never disputed. Others said she was part of a cult of witches, this stemmed from her distaste and disease amongst people. Her pale skin, strikingly green eyes, raven hair, and red lips, born and bred of magic was what some said. She never dispelled the rumors. As a matter of fact she rarely said anything to anyone.

Miss Kingston lived in Crookfield Hall. It was a large house made of a dark, quarried stone. Ivy covered most of the  northern side of it, giving the Gothic hall an aged, even more Gothic look. The large dark oak door beckoned for you to enter but also seemed as if it didn't want to divulge in the owners secrets. The large mansion had two floors and and about 13 windows on each floor. The front of the house faced south, capturing the most sunlight as possible. But if you looked close, there were dark green velvet drapes draw over them, keeping the sun out and wandering eyes as well. There was a Gothic gate surrounding the house, it was black and the hinge squeaked. The hinged part opened to a cobble stone walkway to the house. Near the walkway, on either side, were two gardens, in one grew herbs. Most of them for medicinal value, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil. The other side was the only bit of color on the entire property that wasn't depressing and dark. Red roses. Not pretty pink, hybrid, tea roses that were all the rage amongst eligible young ladies, or the orange ones mothers favored. Red, love to some, but they had other meanings to Nora.

The house was situated on many acres of moor and field, some of which she rented to farmers. But she ensured that they were far away from the house and never came to the actual Crookfield Hall. They were all too frightened of the proprietor. On these several small farms there grew corn, wheat, potatoes, and barley, and other various vegetables. They paid their rent by way of crops, and a small portion of the profit; but it was never much. There was even a cattle farm somewhere on the sprawling acres. But as stated before, they had very little to do with the woman from which they rent the land. Though some resented that it was indeed a woman.

Now, dear reader, as you've probably guessed by now, Miss Nora Kingston was very beautiful, and you'd be right. While this is cliche that is not the point. Nora was stunning, her long raven hair was always silky, her eyebrows beautifully arched, her high cheekbones spoke of being well bred, her skin was pale, smooth, and clear, her eyes always caught people's attention, for they were a deep emerald green, and her smile was as equally beautiful, she had straight, white teeth, and her beautiful red lips accented them beautifully. And her lips, rose red. Some said she was just as beautiful on the inside. She owned several cats and two dogs, and a horse were her only real companions. She was often "seen" with a dark black cat in the crook of her arm. She was a very reclusive creature rarely if ever did she go into town to shop, and if she did it was usually to the apothecary, buying strange herbs and concoctions, elements for brewing.

There were of course servants at Crookfield Hall. How could a hall so large be run with out them? There was a cook, three maids, who mostly did the cleaning, a stable boy, one ladies maid, and Mrs Smith, she pretty much ran the whole fiasco. There were so few servants because Miss Kingston was the only resident. She had inherited the house because her father died with no male heir, and he and her mother were only children, she there were just no male heirs. This was perfectly fine with Nora Kingston. She had a fortune, house, and animals. She was just fine with that.  She had never been particularly close to her father or mother, being handed off to nannies and nurses, she never really had any loving contact with her parents, except of course, tea every day at four, where she mainly sat quietly listening while her parents talked about matter deemed "above her head". Which was probably true. At the time.

The servants rarely left the hall, mostly to do her shopping, go to church, or when they got their time off. But these people had been sworn to secrecy and never spoke; in too much detail; about the goings on in the house. Sure there was the general gripe, 'the rich don't care about us' or 'yes what I said she never touched her food. Third time this week!' but never too specific. For that she was appreciative.