My Day in the Magic Kingdom

Grade: A +

Words: 991

Pages (On Microsoft Word): 4

Info: This is one of my favorite essays. It's about finding a friend, braving my fear of the Matterhorn, conjuring my favorite villain of all time, and being introduced to the best book series EVER all in the same day.            

                                                                   My Day in the Magic Kingdom

I was at Disneyland with my grandmother in October of 2014. I was wearing a black leather jacket, black pants, and black leather boots. We were going to the Conjure a Villain attraction. The line was about thirty minutes long, but we decided that it would be worth the wait.

In front of us in line stood a blonde haired girl with glasses. Her hair was tied in a ponytail and she was not quite as tall as me. She was around my age, wearing a pink shirt and light colored jeans. The girl's mother, a woman in her thirties who resembled an older version of her daughter, asked if I could save their spot while they took a quick picture with Mickey Mouse. I, of course, said yes.

When the girl and her mother returned, the girl introduced herself as Olivia. We talked to each other about our Halloween costumes; I was going to be Maleficent from the movie of the same name while Olivia was going to be Hermione Granger from Harry Potter.

When we arrived at the front of the line, we were ushered into a large, orange tent along with about twenty other people. A cast member asked for a volunteer to conjure up a villain. A small girl was chosen to stir a potion next to a large box. There was a sudden boom and a low voice spoke. The box filled with smoke and Cruella De Vil appeared. Her black and white fur coat was dangling to her ankles and her red high heels gave another inch to her height. She was wearing a skinny, black dress that went down to her knees and bright red lipstick. Her two-toned black and white hair was slightly spike. Her eyes were wide, her arms were flailing, and she nearly tripped over her own two feet.

"Which one of you rats sent me here?!?" Cruella said in a ridiculously heavy English accent. The little girl who had stirred the cauldron stepped forward, "So this is all your fault?"

Cruella took a picture with the girl and soon we were all asked to form a line to meet the iconic villain. Because Olivia didn't have a pen, I offered her mine. When I got to Cruella, she complemented my 'divine taste in jackets' and started talking about how her henchmen were caught trying to catch a cheetah for a jumpsuit.

After my chit chat with Cruella, Olivia and I decided to get in line again to see if we could meet a different villain. After another hour of waiting, we went inside the big tent for a second time. When the cast member asked for a volunteer, she picked me.

I took a deep breath, grabbed the wand, and dangled it over the cauldron. When the thunder boomed, many of the guests jumped back, and some kids were running to their parents. I kept dangling the wand over the spooky cauldron, while I was humming Poor Unfortunate Souls. Soon, the cast member took the wand and I returned to Olivia. The large box filled with smoke and out came Maleficent, Mistress of Evil and the best Disney villain ever.

Her black and purple, long-sleeved dress covered her feet and arms. Her black horns made her seem taller and more superior. Her green skin seemed to be glowing and her red lips formed a mischievous smirk.

"What am I doing here?" Maleficent drawled.

"You've been conjured here." The cast member explained.

"By who?" Maleficent asked. I quickly put on my Maleficent horns hat and stepped forward, "Glad to see you have an interesting taste in headgear."

I quickly took out a my autograph book and had Maleficent sign it. I had, however, forgot to give my pen to Olivia. Once Olivia had met Maleficent, we headed to Main Street to watch the Frozen Pre-Parade, which was a float filled with fake snow and a dancing Olaf, Elsa, and Anna.

During the pre-parade, I gave Olivia an autograph that I had received from Maleficent the year before, since she hadn't got her autograph at Conjure a Villain.

"Can we go on the Matterhorn?" Olivia asked after the pre-parade ended, "It's my favorite ride!" I had always been afraid of the Yetis on the Matterhorn. When I told Olivia this, she replied, "The left side doesn't have Yetis." She lied.

I decided to go on the Matterhorn. We waited for about fifteen minutes (the line was short because another parade was going on at the time). When we were ushered into the white and red toboggans, I realized there was no turning back. Olivia and her mother sat in the front seat of the toboggan, while my grandmother and I sat in the seat behind them.

The ride started out fine. We entered a cave with thousands of beautiful ice crystals. I suddenly heard a menacing roar. I shut my eyes almost immediately. I heard two more growls before I heard Olivia scream, "I'm sorry, Lily! There were two Yetis!"

I gulped and slowly opened my eyes again. We had now entered another cave with dazzling yellow stalactites. After quick drops, sudden turns, and lots and lots of ice, the ride ended.

I dashed out of the seats, scaring a pitch black crow who had been watching us from a magnolia tree, and I started jumping up and down.

"That. Was. Awesome!!!" I squealed.

Olivia and I talked some more and went on a few more rides. She told me that she was visiting from Washington state for the weekend. When the day came to a close, we exchanged email addresses.

"Promise me that you will read Harry Potter?" Olivia had asked me.

"I promise." I said, shaking her hand.

An that's how I conjured the most evil fairy in the land, escaped Yetis on a snowy mountain, discovered the best book series of all time, and made a friend for life.