1; breaking

MARCI'S POV

I woke up to a tap on my bedroom window. Rolling over I watched the window until the next pebble was thrown to make sure I didn't imagine it.
*CLANK* And
A large stone flew, almost cracking it. I ran to the window and threw it up, leaning out to see Chris' smiling face.
"Jesus, Chambers! You're gonna break through the window next time, I swear."

I pulled on my shoes, carefully climbing out the window praying Gordie didn't hear from the next room.
I jumped down, my feet hitting hard on the gravel. I walked up to Chris who was fixing the clothesline with a smirk.

"You trying to get me grounded?" I said, nudging him with my elbow.

"It's dark! The stone was a little..bigger than I thought." Chris said, running his hand through his hair.
I moved his hand away from the clothesline, back to his side.

"So, then. Where to?"
He looked around then grabbed my hand and started to lead me down the road.

*

We sat on the hill behind school which had the prettiest view in Castle Rock. Chris always brought me here when he needed to think.

"What's on your mind, Chambers?"
He gazed up at the sky and smiled.

"A lot I guess."

"You're freaking me out. Everything okay?"

He sighed, "You're too kind for your own good, Marci. It kinda scares me that the gang and I have been taking care of you forever, and next year we will all be leaving you."
There was silence for awhile.
"I don't think I'm gonna get out of here. I think there's gonna be some big tragedy, like my dad beats me up or you get hurt and I can't find the strength to leave. Like something will always be in the way. Maybe Vern will get in a freak accident or Teddy will finally crack. I don't even want to think about if something happened to your brother."

I shook my head, and I could feel the frustration inside me build.
"You're gonna be great, Chris. Castle Rock is not the whole world. You'll find your place in and I can't wait to see what you'll do. You're gonna be so damn great, okay?" I rambled.

Chris has felt this way since we were kids, like he has absolutely no faith in himself . It kills me, really, since he's the best kid I've ever known.

"Thanks, Marci. For always talking some sense into me." He said with a corny grin.

"Oh, go on. We keep having too many of these Hallmark moments you and I."
He darted his eyes at me and I blushed, thanking god it was dark outside. I quickly tried to think of something to say.

"As for me, I don't even think I'll make it out of chemistry. I've got that wicked final tomorrow." I rolled my eyes.

"Wait, you have a final tomorrow ? Marci."
Chris groaned as he stood up, grabbing my hand.
"What?"

Chris looked angry as he led me back down the hill and onto the road.

I turned him to me with my eyebrows raised.
"Chris, what's up? Why are you so mad?"

He looked at me like I was stupid or something.
"Your Chem final is tomorrow and you came out with me when you should be studying your ass off to pass. I won't let you get stuck here, Ci and the only way you can get out is if your grades are good enough to take you out of state. I won't let you go to Castle Rock community college, I just won't."
He finished, shaking his head.

He began to walk again until I turned him around and threw my arms around him. It felt good to know someone cared about me that much.

He smiled and walked me back home, humming any song that came into his mind.

*

"This is my stop." I whispered as we approached my window. Chris kept grinning, and even in the dark his perfect dimples were charming.

He leaned over as kissed me on the cheek.
"Now, get studying, LaChance. Your brother will kill me if he knows we went out tonight."

I climbed back into my room carefully and quietly. I kicked my shoes off and took off my jacket, then slowly crept into bed, setting my alarm extra early to study.

The light flicked on and Gordie was standing in the doorway, his arms crossed.

I groaned. He never let me get away with anything.

"Hi, Gordie." I said, sitting up on my bed.
He rolled his eyes at me.
"You know better than to go out before a final. Hell, I don't like you going anywhere with Chambers after 10PM, you know that, Marci."

"I know, and I'm sorry. But, if it makes you feel better he dragged me back when he found out I had a test."
Gordie perked up his head at this, smiling a little.

He came to my bedside and sat on the edge.

"I know you care about each other, Ci. All of Castle Rock knows. But, please try to care a little more about school, okay?" He said,pulling me into a hug.
He ruffled my hair and began to walk out.
"I better see you studying tomorrow morning. You're a smart kid, Marci. Trust me."
And with that he turned the light off and left.

I got under the covers but couldn't stop myself from smiling. This feeling was odd ...I was happy.