4; saving

GORDIE

"Shit, man. Yeah, okay I'm coming." I said, slamming the phone down on the hook and rushing up to Marci's room.
I let my hand hit the door with force, knocking loud enough to wake up the neighbors. I glanced down at my clock which read 3 AM.
Marci opened the door, rubbing her eyes and shooting me a confused look.
"Get a coat and some shoes on and meet me in the truck." I said, throwing a sweatshirt that was on the ground to her as I turned to go back downstairs.
"Wait-Gordie what's going on?" She yelled after me.
I took in a sharp breath, my patience slim.
"Chris is in trouble."
Her eyes widened for a moment, then she grabbed her sneakers and shut the door behind her, rushing behind me.

We sped down the street, not saying a word. I reached my hand over and squeezed her shoulder, keeping my eyes on the road. I could see that she was shaking out of the corner of my eye.
We pulled up to the Chambers' house, somewhere we rarely ever visited.
She jumped out of the car before it was in park, running into the house.
"Ci! Dammit." I yelled, fumbling with the clutch as I tried to get my seatbelt off and take the keys out of the ignition.
I could hear a police siren, but only barely over the yelling that came from inside the Chambers house.
"Chris!" I heard Marci yell as a lot of banging threatened to block out her scream.
I ran in, only to see Marci blocking Chris from his father. I stood, stunned as I watched my kid sister willing to taking a beating for him. Chris was bleeding from his face, and lumps on his arms stood out with already forming bruises as he clutched onto his stomach.
Mr.Chambers advanced Marci, who stood her ground.
Chris, who seemed to be just coming to again, saw Marci and tried to push her out of the way from his dad. Mr. Chambers clenched his fist and hit her hard in the jaw a millisecond before I reached him. I tackled him, tears coming out of my eyes as I screamed with a type of rage I've never had in my whole life.
"Marci? Oh shit." I heard Chris whimper.
His dad threw me off of him, but I wasn't giving up.
He had me pinned, and Marci shouted something I couldn't make out to me as she ran towards me in the same way she had Chris. With his hands around my neck I slowly started to lose vision, and then something happened.
From the back door I heard a large, husky voice yell something, and two sets of footsteps. Then, my neck was free, and I could breathe again. Chris and Marci scooted over to me and helped me up. We watched as Eyeball and Ace held back Mr.Chambers. We all exchanged a look of confusion with each other; we hadn't seen much of either of them since they graduated five years ago.
"Get out of here! Go!" Eyeball shouted at us while Ace pinned Mr. Chambers' arms behind his back. I was dizzy, but somehow made it to the car.
We all were hurt and bleeding all over the leather. Me, with a black eye and bruises around my neck. Chris, with lumps on his arms, a cut under his bottom lip, and a hematoma forming in his stomach. And Marci, with the cut under her eye and blood coming from the back of her head. Marci sat with her knees tucked up to her, about to cry at any moment, her head up against the window.
She looked over to Chris, who was also in the backseat, who looked to be falling asleep.
Marci pushed him, he shot her a confused look.
"You could have a concussion..try to stay awake ."
She managed to say, her voice cracking.
When we pulled up to our house Teddy and Vern were waiting outside, eager for an explanation. Marci jumped out of the car and walked quickly past them, a hand up to her mouth as she did. I got out of the car and walked with Chris to the door as Teddy and Vern badgered us with questions. I told the crew they could all stay the night, and we would skip school tomorrow.

xxxx

CHRIS

After I got out of the shower I examined myself in the mirror. I was one big bruise , but I would be okay. It didn't look like I needed any stitches, and if I did it wasn't many. My father had done a hell of a lot worse before, and I'm just thankful we got out of there when we did . I heard a knock on the door and opened it to see Gordie on the other side, still shaking. I put my arms around him and hugged him tightly.
"Thank you, brother." I mumbled against his shoulder.
He pulled me away from him, wiping a stray tear he was hoping I wouldn't see.
"Oh shut up, you big sap."
"I don't shut up, I grow up!" I started, but couldn't finish because we both broke off into laughter. I shook my head and threw him a clean towel.
"Get washed up . I'm gonna try and talk to Ci." I said, walking down the hall to her room.

I knocked lightly on her door-but no one answered. I knocked one more time before slowly creaking the door open and peeking in. She was in her bed, her knees pulled up to her, facing away from me. She was shaking violently and that's when I knew she was crying. I rushed to her, holding her in my arms and slowly rocking her back and forth until she calmed down.

"Are you in pain?" I said, my voice almost breaking.
She looked at me like I was stupid or something, and then sat upright.
"You think I'm crying because of the pain? Chris, I'm crying because-well because..you don't deserve it ! Why didn't you tell me, why didn't anyone tell me?" She stammered frantically.
"I knew your dad was a hard ass but I didn't know that he hit you..how could someone..why would anyone-" tears clouded her voice again and refused to let her continue on.

I pulled her into me again and hummed a random melody.

"Marci, what you did for me tonight was the most stupid, insane, courageous, and loving thing anyone has ever done for me. You're-"
"Really something?" She said with a smirk.
"You guys gotta get some better lines, I swear."

I chuckled. But, as soon as her smile was there it was gone again. She laid her head on my shoulder and slowly drifted into sleep. I turned off the lamp next to us on the nightstand and began to get up and leave the room.

"Chris?" A small voice said.
"Yeah, Marci?"
"Where are you going?" She said, worry in her voice.
"I just am gonna talk to the guys. I'll come right back."

I slipped out of the door, closing it slowly. The three boys were waiting for me right outside, causing me to jump a bit.
Gordie looked at me first, lifting his head towards the door.
"How is she ?" He asked.
I shook my head, and could practically feel Teddys rage.
"She's pretty broken up about it. Not about the actual injuries-"
"Injuries?" Vern objected.
"That prick laid a hand on her, too? On Marci ? You're fucking with me, Chambers."
Teddy said through his teeth.

"She was blocking him from me. When I got hit I was out cold and when I came to again she was taking blows from him-protecting me." I said, hurting my stomach.

We all stood in a moment of shock, Gordie and I still living in the moment while Teddy and Vern couldn't believe what they were hearing.

I'm in love with this girl.