Chapter Twenty-Eight

"I can't believe you've not torn that bastard's head off for what happened to Priya," Darren complained, striding across the road without looking.

Jack hurried after him, shoving his brother in the back and forcing him between two cars. Kaleb took care to check both ways before following them across the road.

"Caine showed exactly how he felt about Priya's injuries," he assured the brothers. "And after a display like that, none of those vampires will be keen to hurt any of us again."

Darren spun on his heel, ignoring his brother's shoves and mutters to shut up.

"And that's what you want?" he asked. "To be left alone because a vampire said so?"

Balling his hands into fists, Kaleb rolled back his shoulders and stepped up to Darren. The man didn't back down, though his gaze did flicker to the floor.

"My son and brother in law are in danger, far more danger than Priya currently faces. Once they are found and safe, I will deal with what the vampires did to us."

Darren ground his teeth and his brother shuffled his feet. Wrapping a hand around his brother's elbow, Jack dragged Darren back into walking. Kaleb stifled a small grin and followed. He knew he would never receive an apology for questioning his decisions, not from the brothers, they were too headstrong and prideful for that, but their silent submission was enough to know they understood.

The diner looked like one of the places he'd worked as a young man before he'd met Jemima and the rest of the Embrey pack. The smell of pancakes and bacon wafting through the open door brought him up short. Jemima made pancakes sometimes, and bacon regularly, but it never had the same taste in the back of his throat as this did.

Darren and Jack hung back a step, allowing Kaleb to pass them. He breathed through his mouth as he entered, eager to be out of here as quickly as possible.

August had directed him to the diner, having followed Spencer's scent here. They had been too late to find them, but knowing they had been here was enough. Unfortunately, at that time of night, the place had been closed, and so it was up to Kaleb and the brothers, able to go out during the day, to hunt them down.

Even with his senses dulling thanks to the waning moon, Kaleb recognised the fading scent of his brother-in-law's wolf form. The scent of his son made his chest ache.

"There," he said, pointing to a booth next to the wall. "They sat there."

A waiter burst out of the kitchen, carrying three plates up one arm and a tray on the other hand.

"Hey," he said. "Sorry, I'll be with you in one minute, just take a seat."

Kaleb pointed to the nearest table, and they slid down into the seats. Jack immediately picked up a menu and started scanning it. Kaleb raised an eyebrow and he grinned sheepishly, replacing the laminated paper.

When the waiter returned, it was with his pen upside down in his hand, and a slop of something like soup down his apron.

"I'm sorry about that," he said in a single breath. "What can I get you?"

"Short staffed?" Kaleb asked.

The man groaned.

"Someone didn't turn up," he admitted.

"That's crap," Darren said, leaning back in his seat and crossing his arms over his chest. "Stuck you with the short end, huh?"

"Didn't even call," he said. "I mean, sure, hook up with a customer, but at least come into work the next day."