•1•

I woke up to the sound of my two little brothers running around in the house. I rubbed my eyes as I fully woke up. I get up from my bed and look outside my small window. The sea breeze flew so faintly and filled me with warmth. It's a beautiful day in California. I live in a small house near the beach with my dad, stepmom and my two half-brothers. I never knew my mother, she left my dad when I was born. But dad says I have her beautiful grey eyes. 

I head down stairs into the kitchen. Where Bobby and Matthew are playing with their legos and mom (stepmom) was making pancakes. Dad was watching TV  and was on the news channel. They are doing a report on the prince and how he is old enough to marry and other stuff like that.  His name is Perseus after the demigod from Greek mythology. I sat down next to dad and watch the news with him. Apparently the royal family is hosting a selection for Prince Perseus to select a wife. They sent applications to girls that are in the range 18-20 years old. I get up from the couch and grab a plate of the pancakes mom made for the family. As everyone sits down mom took out a letter, she opened it and read it. 

"Dear Family, in the census you took this year it appears to be that there is a girl that is around the age 18-20 that is eligible to enter the selection. If the girl is interested, then fill out the application and give it to the city hall in your small town by 10pm today. We will pick one girl from each state so good luck to all of you." she put away the letter "Annabeth do you want to enter the selection, the prince seems like a very nice fellow and you two would make a perfect couple" 

I look at her and shake my head. "Mom, no way. I don't think so, he seems shallow and dumb. Plus remember I have Luke with me and I'm very happy." I said looking confident. Mom looked at me then sat down and put the application away. I know she doesn't like Luke but I know she will learn to like him. Luke has been my boyfriend since I was 17 years old. We have been together for 2 years now, she should probably start to think of him like part of the family. I finish my breakfast and change into a beautiful sundress and curl my hair. My skin was sun kissed from the time I went surfing with my dad. I grab my converse and run down the stairs. 

"Later dad, meeting Thalia and Clarisse at the park then seeing Luke after that." I say kissing my dad's head and waving at mom and my little brothers and head out the door.

I run to the park where Thalia and Clarisse were waiting for me by the benches. I see them and wave at them. They run up to me and we all hug and sit down. We start to talk about the randomest things like who was the cutest celebrity and other stuff like that. We decided to grab a starbucks, so we went and of course I ordered a Frappucino. 

"So Annabeth, hows Luke?" Thalia asked while we sat down near the window. 

"He's fine. We are going on a date today, that's why I wore my favorite sundress." I said happily while sipping on my drink. "So Clarisse what about you and Chris huh? I see the way he looks at you and the way you look at him."

Clarisse blushed "Well there is no progress yet, but I think he might be planning on asking me on a date." I smiled very excited for my friend. She has liked Chris for a long time and it finally seems like the relationship she has dreamed of is going to happen. As we kept talking hours passed until it was 4 o'clock and I had to leave for my date with Luke. Thalia and Clarisse decided to walk me there. 

We arrived at the fancy restaurant Luke was going to take me to today. We all walked in and looked for Luke. Once I saw him I was about to run to him until Thalia stopped me. I gave her a weird look and she just pointed at Luke. I turned around to what I saw as Luke kissing a girl. And that girl wasn't me....Tears came upon my eyes and I saw that he looked at me and his eyes widened.

"Annabeth this isn't what it looks like" He said.

"Its exactly what it looks like. Luke were done. I don't want to see you ever again" I started crying and ran out of the place. I heard Thalia and Clarisse yell at Luke for what he did. He kissed another girl how could I ever be with a guy who cheated on  me with another girl. I ran all the way into the park and sat there and cried. My heart was shattered. I promised myself that I would never fall in love ever again and this time I would accomplish that because all that love brought for me is pain and suffering. 

I walk in my house and head straight to my room ignoring all the questions my family was asking. I shut the door and wept. After a couple of hours after I calmed down, I heard a small knock and saw dad walking in.

"What's wrong Annie?" he said as he sat down next to me in my bed

"Luke and I broke up because I caught him cheating on me with another girl." I said while letting a few tears down my face. 

"Oh honey that's horrible" He said as he hugged me. "Annabeth I know this may seem hard right now but you still have your life ahead of you. Don't let this kid ruin that for you. I'm sure you will find the perfect boy who will love you to the moon and back. He will love you for who you are. And besides I never liked that Luke." I hugged him back and thanked him for the advice. He kissed me on the top of my head and then left. I looked at my clock and saw that time had flown by it  was 8pm. I decided to sleep early so I tucked myself in and slept. 

I woke up to the sound of my best friends screaming at my ear for me to get up. The TV was loud and my name was on it. Why was my name on it? As I listened to what the reporter said, she said I had been chosen as the california girl for the selection. Oh My Gods! 

"I didn't sign up for the selection!" I said looking at all of my family and friends.

"We know. I filled the application with your name  and sent it in for you to forget about that idiot and focus on what you actually deserve. You totally deserve a prince." Thalia said smiling. I looked at her with wide eyes. 

Days passed by and people came and started to get me ready for the selection. Which was something I wasn't looking forward to....