Chapter 6

Katniss

Thunder cracks overhead as I watch the rain falling down. Peeta sleeps peacefully beside me and every once in a while, he mumbles something as he sleeps. Ever since I was on the verge of my deathbed, something in him has changed. He looks at me differently and I don't know wether to be excited or frightened of it. I feel him stir slightly and I look over to see him waking up.

"Is it still raining?" he asks and I nod.

"It's been nearly a day," I say. "It hasn't stopped."

"They must be planning something," he says. I watch as he carefully pulls himself up, finally having recovered from the wound Clove gave him.

"I hate to think of what," I say quietly but he hears and I feel Peeta's arm wrap carefully around my waist. I lay my head on his shoulder and I feel his hand gently rub my back.

"I won't let anything happen to you," he whispers in my ear, just loud enough for me to hear which makes me believe he really means it.

"I know you won't," I reply softly. "I trust you Peeta." I end up burying my face in his neck. "I just want this all to be over."

"I know," he says. "And it will be very soon."

"I hope Prim is okay," I say and Peeta just nods.

"My father will take care of her," he says. "He really likes you and your sister."

"He was my mother's best friend when they were our age," I say and he nods again.

"I know," he says. "He talks about her a lot. Mother doesn't like it though." I laugh softly.

"I wish I had spoken to you sooner," I say. "I wouldn't have been so worried about how you'd see me after I admitted my feelings." What I'm saying isn't true at all. It's all just for the camera. There is no way I can honestly believe that just because I said I love him, Peeta would magically love me back.

"No, you shouldn't have," he says. I see a slight glint in his blue eyes. "Soon we will be home and no secrets will separate us any longer."

"Do you think we'll share a house?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"I doubt they would give two sixteen year olds a house together Katniss," he says and I lay my head on his shoulder. "But I'll either be right next door to you or across the street. I won't be too far away."

"I know," I say. "But I'll miss sleeping next to you."

"Well, maybe in a few years, we will do it again," he says. I smile at him and he leans in and so do I. I feel that little tingle in my stomach as our lips meet like I do when I'm close to him. He gently cups my cheek and I feel my heart beating loudly in my chest. I break it, out of breath and then we just sit there, our foreheads pressed together, staring into each other's eyes. And for the first time I think, I see affection in his eyes. Peeta cares about me. He actually cares about me.

A metallic sound outside breaks us out of our trance and I grip onto his arm tightly as he tries to stand. I reach for my bow and get up myself. I carefully walk across the cold floor and look outside. I lower my weapon and grab the parachute that sits at the entrance before ducking back into the cave. I hand it to Peeta and sit back down next to him. Together, we open the package and we both smile.

Inside is the most wonderful meal of lamb stew and fresh bread, complete with plates and silverware.

"I didn't realize how hungry I was until I smelled this," he says handing me a plate and I smile and nod.

"I know what you mean," I reply as I take a bite. "But we need to pace ourselves. We don't want to get sick like we did when we were on the train." He nods and we eat quietly glancing at each other every once in a while. When we finish, we set the plates aside and Peeta has me lay down in the sleeping bag.

"You know you look a lot prettier when you don't scowl so much," he says, sweeping my hair behind my ear.

"So I don't look nice when I scowl?" I ask him and he laughs, a light appearing in those gentle blue eyes of his.

"No," he says. "You are always beautiful. You're just so much prettier when you don't have that sour look on your face." I laugh and reach out, taking his hand, corse and scarred by years of working in his father's bakery, in mine.

"Well then I guess you'll just have to stick with me, because you almost always make me smile," I say and the slightly uncomfortable look on his face makes the hope that had been growing in my heart fade to a rock, sinking into the pit of my stomach.

"Yeah," he says. "I guess I will." He lays down beside me and I hear the anthem start to play. I raise my head and look out just in time to see Thresh's face fade from the sky.

"He's dead," I say glancing at Peeta. "He saved your life and now he's dead."

"This means we're closer to home now Katniss," he says. "I'm sorry to see him go, but its better for it to be him than one of us."

"But," I start and he just shakes his head.

"I know," he says. "But now we don't have to worry about his blood being on our hands. We only have to wait until the rain stops and maybe Cato will get rid of Foxface for us so we only have to worry about him. Two against one is pretty good odds if you ask me." I nod and he gently pulls me close to him. I lay my head on his chest and I feel him kiss the top of my head.

"I'm so happy we'll be going home soon," I say and I feel Peeta's hands gently run through my hair.

"And until then remember," he whispers. "As long as my heart keeps beating, I'm not going to let anything happen to you. I promise." And in that moment, I truly feel safe as I fall asleep to the beat of his heart and the gentle strokes of my hair.