Chapter 8

Chapter 8

As soon as he's walking out into the foyer, Percy knows that he should regret what he just did, but he doesn't, not even in the slightest. She's a therapist; it's her job to tell his parents every single word he says - especially in Percy's case. There's no doubt in his mind that the piece of paper with his name on it will be handed to his mother, and the onslaught of questions will begin. He's not sure how they expect him to answer them, but he knows that they will be asked, all the same.

Percy's trying to find it in himself to care when Nico saunters into the room, and all previous thoughts are immediately forgotten. Briefly, he wonders why Nico is still hanging around - after all, he was there an hour ago when Percy first went into his session - but the thought is quickly eradicated and replaced with the simple one of; why the fuck does it matter, as long as he's here?

Nico smiles when he sees him, and Percy decides that it definitely doesn't matter.

"Hey!"

Percy smiles, waves and tries to hide the blush threatening to form as Nico makes his way over to him.

"How'd your session go?" Nico asks nodding his head in the direction of the room Percy just exited. He's still smiling encouragingly, and there's some spark inside of Percy that suddenly makes him want to tell somebody of the events that just took place. He wants somebody to be proud of him, to congratulate him on the fact that he finally got somebody to understand even just a tiny part of him.

He nods happily, his own smile sweeping across his face.

He wants to show Nico the piece of paper, finally give Nico the answer to what to call him, but it's still with the therapist, and Percy doesn't know if he could bring himself to do it all over again so soon. Baby steps, baby steps.

He passes the thought off for a moment, leaving it for another time.

"So, Perce, wanna go hang out? We could go get something to eat if you want?"

Percy's eyes flicker to the front door where he knows his mother will be arriving shortly. He hesitates a little, but then he remembers the way his mother looks at him, and compares it to the way Nico is looking at him. There's that ever-present smile on his lips, a tinge of hope mixed with doubt behind his eyes, and Percy can tell that despite his confidence exterior, Nico is a little nervous.

Percy can't for the life of him figure out why, but it makes him smile. Nico, he decides, is officially adorable.

"Hello? Perce?" Nico's waving a hand in his face, and Percy remembers that he's still waiting for an answer. He snaps back to the question at hand, and his mind lingers a little on the fact that Nico is still calling him Perce. Still refraining from calling him Ugliano because he can tell that Percy hates it, but still unsure of what the alternative is. Percy wants him to know, wants Nico to be able to call him by his real name. He's becoming increasingly curious as to what his name will sound like from Nico's gorgeously carved lips.

Percy grins, nodding enthusiastically in answer to Nico's previous question. His eyes dart once more to the front door, and he feels guilty for a fraction of a second. He knows his mother will wonder where he is, and it makes him feel a little bit happier at the thought that maybe she'll be worried. Percy's not trying to be a typical teenager, but he can't help it. The thought of his mother actually worrying about him is nice; a lot better than her usual indifference or exasperation.

He knows his stepfather won't care in the slightest, but Percy makes a note not to even think about him.

"Awesome! So, do you like ice cream?" Nico asks with a grin as he leads Percy towards the exit.