Chapter Seven: DNA

"You're being ridiculous, Lauren. Absolutely ridiculous," Lauren's mother, Clara, snapped, making the dark-haired girl's head bow in shame. Tears glistened her red cheeks, her chubby hands rubbing furiously at them. She sniffled pathetically before looking out the window. Chris was kicking his fat legs around, babbling about something. Lauren wished that she could just disappear.

She was only five years old and Lauren felt like the whole world was collapsing around her.

She cried harder as trees and houses whizzed by, a large, yellow one with white trim coming into view before passing by like the rest. That meant they were closer to Grandma Jauregui's house, where there was a huge Christmas party going on. Lauren's dad, Michael, had to work that day, as it was only the 23rd of December. But Clara was feeling a lot better and wanted to take her kids out to the family outing, hoping for some fun times.

Lauren, on the other hand, didn't want to go out. Even though it was family they were visiting, Lauren still hated the thought of being around so many people. It was too much for her to comprehend and handle. She would much rather draw pretty pictures or read a Dr. Suess book than talk to her super-old grandma or creepy uncle or annoying cousin.

It wasn't just Lauren's family and talking that she hated, though. It was winter that also bothered her. From the itchy, ugly sweaters her mother made her wear to the cold weather nipping at her face to the spooky wind that kept her up at night. Nothing was good about the winter weather. Sure, other places outside of the warmth of Florida had to deal with things like ice and slush and snow. But Lauren still hated winter and the horrible aspects of it all.

So there Lauren was, miserable in her horrid Christmas sweater that had a Rudolph face with a light-up nose, freezing and sobbing her eyes out because she just wanted to stay home and play the Sims.

"Stop crying, Lauren. Now," Clara said sternly, causing Chris to frown before whining.

"Mommy mad?" he asked, a bit of drool around his mouth.

Lauren sniffled. "Not at you. At me. Because I can't talk. Because I'm stupid," she grumbled to Chris, who looked at her curiously. He probably had absolutely no clue what Lauren was going off about.

Clara sighed from the front seat, pulling into the packed driveway, right behind Aunt Darlene's minivan, which had some 'I love my honors kids' bumper stickers on the back. She twisted around, patting Lauren's hair gently.

"Lo, you're not stupid. Okay? Mommy's just a bit tired. She's very sorry for making you feel bad," Clara said with a soft voice, relaxing the five year old visibly.

Lauren sniffled again, rubbing her red sleeve under her nose. "I'm not a bad girl? You still love me?" she asked, sniffling harder than before.

Shaking her head, Clara smiled, fixing up Lauren's hair. "Of course I love you, baby. And you're not a bad girl at all. You're a very good girl," she said, pinching Lauren's chubby legs, making her squeal and giggle.

Chris kicked his own legs around, smiling because Lauren and Clara were. "I love Mommy and Lo!" he practically screamed.

With a laugh, Clara tickled at Chris' leg, as well. He kicked some more until Clara pulled her hand away.

"Alright! Time to get inside and say 'hi' to everyone. Do you think you can manage that, Lauren?" Clara asked, raising her eyebrows at the girl through the rearview mirror. Lauren bit her lip roughly before nodding, unbuckling her seatbelt. She just wanted to make her mommy happy, and she knew trying was the only way she could do that. Like expected, a wide smile spread across Lauren's mom's face. "Good, baby girl. Maybe after this, we can go pick up a movie and watch it before bedtime."