(2) Hello Kitty

Mandy's POV

I woke up as Liam's car slowed to a stop in front of a large home. It was a two-story building with a black gated fence wrapped around it. I sat up in my seat as Liam turned the engine off. The sweet smell of Liam's cologne still filled my nose as I yawned. Rain continued to fall heavily on the windshield, creating a soothing sound inside of the quiet car. Liam looked over at me and smiled. His warm eyes turned into little crescents and I found myself relaxing.

"Would you like me to carry you inside?" Liam asked gently. His voice was soft like honey and very soothing.

"No, thank you. I can walk." I answered. Liam nodded at me and smiled again.

He unlocked the car doors and we stepped out into the rain. I followed him up to the house and waited patiently while he unlocked the door. I still had his jacket wrapped tightly around my body for warmth.

When the door opened, I was half-expecting to be met with a dungeon or torture chamber but instead, I was met with a cozy little mud room. Liam guided me into the room and led me to a bench against one of the walls. I sat down and he gave me a reassuring smile.

"It's not much but I'm sure it's better than staying in the rain." Liam shrugged.

"No, it's perfect, I mean, it's better than my old apartment... by a lot." I assured. The house smelled the same as the car I had been in. The sweet smell of cologne continued to fill my senses. It wasn't overwhelming, it was refreshing and a whole lot better than the strong stench of cigarettes and alcohol.

Liam smiled and took one of my shoes in his hands, startling me. I frowned, unsure of what he was doing. He picked at my shoelaces, untying them, and tugged my old wet converse shoe from my foot.

"I can do it myself, Liam, it's alright." I smiled, starting to take off my other shoe on my own. Liam nodded and started taking his own shoes off. I placed both of my shoes neatly by the front door. Liam tossed his shoes lazily near mine and motioned for me to follow him.

"Let's get you into some dry clothes." Liam mumbled as he led me through his expansive house and up a short flight of stairs. I followed him into a bedroom cautiously. It was a simple room, neatly made but large. I stayed in the middle of the room while Liam walked into the closet. I shifted uncomfortably as I waited. Reality was starting to set in and I just wanted to escape it and distract myself. Liam came out moments later with a t-shirt and a pair of boxers in his hands.

"I know it's not ideal but I don't have anything in your size. I hope this is okay." Liam said worriedly. He handed me the shirt and boxers and I thanked him. I was sure that I was getting a rash from being in wet clothes for so long so I didn't care that I was wearing Liam's clothes.

"I'm going to go fix some food for us. When you're done changing, meet me in the kitchen. It's the first door on the right when you go down the stairs." Liam explained. I nodded shyly and thanked him again. When Liam walked out, I locked the door and began stripping my wet clothes from my body and slipping on the dry ones. The clothes were too big on me but I didn't mind. I was relieved to finally be dry and warm.

I decided that Liam wasn't bad. He didn't seem like a predator or someone to watch out for. He seemed genuinely kind and caring. I was still uneasy about the situation but I decided to give Liam the benefit of the doubt and trust him until he proved to be untrustworthy.

I laid my wet clothes in front of the window in the room to dry and made my way down the stairs. I cautiously pushed the second door open to reveal a large modern kitchen. The sound of clanging pots and pans made me flinch. I took quiet steps into the room and looked around. It was a big space with tall cabinets and stainless steel appliances. Liam was hunched over the stove stirring something in a pot. It smelled delicious. I decided to make my presence known instead of lurking behind Liam. I quietly cleared my throat causing Liam to turn around.