Chapter Eight

Their weapons concealed in an effort to look like common wayfarers, Herrera led his company out of Yarnsford, Turner among them, toward the airship Herrera had ordered hidden just a few miles out of Yarnsford.

The Brigade's airship had been hidden away from any roads or natural passes, camouflaged with foliage, as an added precaution. Turner had expected something sleek and inconspicuous, made of some lightweight material. When its covering was pulled away, he stared in astonishment at the vessel's coat of solid iron plating, peppered with pockmarks, souvenirs of untold bullets. It had a giant propeller affixed to its rear. Even the balloon folded on its roof was plated in similarly dented armour.

"There she is," Angeline said, brightly, "my pride and joy."

"Looks very heavy," Turner said. "Can it really fly?"

"Thanks to a secret ultra-buoyant blend of gases developed by Davishna's best and brightest, our little Tartaruga can fly like any other airship, but with the armaments of a battle tank."

"Herrera!" Angeline interjected. "The Tartaruga is meant to be a state secret. He's not even meant to see inside of it!"

"No need to fret, Angeline. Our Turner is no spy intent on stealing the plans for our magnificent carriage."

"You'll have to forgive Angeline," Gorso said to Turner. "She's developed something of a familial bond with the Tartaruga. If you look real close, you can even see where the umbilical is still attached," he teased.

"Someday, you'll have children of your own, Gorso," Angeline retorted, "and then you'll be able to understand a mother's love for her child."

"A mother's?"

"Let's get her airborne," Herrera said. "It takes a few hours to inflate the balloon. This gives us a chance to sort out our disguises."

Herrera handed out Commission uniforms and bade everyone to put them on. Some were soldier uniforms, some were navy uniforms, all of differing ranks. The ladies changed inside the Tartaruga, while the rest changed outside.

Turner struggled with the oversized clothing, rolling and tying up just about everything so it wouldn't fall off or hinder his movements.

"Nothing quite as fun as a masquerade party where everyone brings their guns," Collin said, pulling on a pair of gloves, completing his transformation into a Commission soldier. It was flawless.

"Where'd you get these uniforms, Mr Herrera?" Turner asked, trying to tie his boots so they wouldn't slide off his feet.

"We've been investigating the Commission for some time now," Herrera said, fixing a captain's hat onto his head. "It seemed prudent to amass a variety of disguises. I apologise for not having anything more your size."

"I don't mind," Turner said. "Only wish my feet were a little bigger."

"Be glad they're not too big. Ah! But that coat just isn't going to work. It's much too big, and the smallest we have."

"I'll alter it," Angeline snatched the coat up and threw it over her shoulder.

"How'll you manage that, without a sewing kit onboard?" Gorso asked.

"I mended a gas powered, high pressure cannon chute with less than what we have here."

"Really?" Gorso said. "Whenever I want keep my  gas powered, high pressure chute from breaking, I just avoid Collin's spiced curry."

Everybody onboard laughed. Turner didn't quite get the joke but the mirth was infectious.

By the time they were aloft, night had well and truly settled in, with countless stars to help light their way. Gorso busied himself at a large wheel set among a spread of levers and dials at the front of the Tartaruga. It was obvious he had considerable experience piloting the airship.