47: beastly

Beastly
Chapter 47

Dear Annie,

It was time, I suppose.

We all come and go. That's the truth of things.

Things between us may not have always been easy, but when I think of my life...

I think of you.

How far you have gone.

The woman you have become.

You'll learn, as you get older, that rules are made to be broken. Be bold enough to live life on your terms, and never, ever apologize for it.

Go against the grain, refuse to conform, take the road less traveled instead of the well-beaten path.

Laugh in the face of adversity, and leap before you look.

Dance as though EVERYBODY is watching.

March to the beat of your own drummer.

And stubbornly refuse to fit in.

There will be moments in your life that will be hard.

It's okay... don't forget to smile.

To love.

To be young, before you are old.

I want your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful...

and don't forget to make some art — write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.

We hold on so tightly, because we're terrified of loss. We hold on till our hands bleed. And in that self-shattering persistence, we fail to see the answer:

Just let go.

Its okay to hold on tight... and to let go.

Have people in your life with whom you can be as open as possible. To have real conversations with people may seem like such a simple, obvious suggestion, but it involves courage and risk.

Take that risk!

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking.

Don't settle.

As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on.

So keep looking until you find it.

Don't. Settle.