Description

His years were a deep brown, and his light brown hair was dirt. he appeared disheveled. He crawled through my open window, and sat on the edge of my twin sized mattress. The grease covered stains on his denim pants clashed with my soft pink cotton duvet. He looked deep into my eyes. His dark like coffee beans with a hint of deep auburn that shone in the sun. Mine, a bright blue like the embroidery of the flowers on the night gown I am wearing. A nightgown far too short to be considered appropriate for a southern lady to wear in front of a man who was not her husband. His rough callous hand slid across my calf to the bend of my knee, until finally he rested his large palm against my sun kissed thigh. I knew this was wrong. I knew if my keepers walked into my bedroom at this moment as a late night checkup, then I would be so very much up a stream without a paddle. Finally, he speaks. His deep voice is even more desirable with his thick southern drawl. The sound makes my womb clench, and my thighs (that he is still touching) tighten. I feel my back straighten, and my bosoms thrust forward as he calls my name gently. “Lulu?” He whispers softly. “Yes,” I respond. “Lulu, I want you to run away with me. I want to marry you…I want us to live our lives together, in a farmhouse far away. Perhaps even a few ankle-biters and a damn dog to solidify the feeling of marriage. So, what do you say Lulu? Want to get circled?” I feel my throat tighten, as my heart beats faster. “Oh, Frankie! You know I want to. But, my old man will never give his permission – and we don’t have the money!!!” I feel tears fill my eyes as the realization that my Mama and Daddy will never let me be with my Frankie! “Lucinda, do not worry about the how. Just tell me: yes or no.” I watched his serious face as he waited on my answer. “Yes, Frankie. I want to marry you. I want to buy our own farmhouse, and have your child.” He smiled a smile so bright I couldn’t help but return one of equal power. “Well then, here’s what we do….”  ------------------ It’s 1956 in Pineville, South Carolina. Lucinda Ann Hodges is the young daughter of Maxwell and Marian Hodges. A fortnight before her 18th birthday, sweet square Lucinda speaks with the local greaser Frankie Hodges. The two weeks between their meeting, and her birthday result in a world wind romance for the young couple. But to stay together the two must make decisions that may have dire consequences for each.