Chapter 4

Chris took off his pads, ready for a shower after another hot practice. He looked forward to September and the cooler weather. September and October were perfect for football. Not too hot and not too cold. The night games in October got pretty chilly, but as long as you were playing it wasn't too bad. November was a mixed bag. It could be like October and not be too cold. Or it could be snowy, or raining and thirty-three degrees, which was the worst. There was nothing more miserable than being soaked at nearly freezing temperatures. He'd rather it dropped a few degrees and just turned to snow.

A voice from the next bank of lockers caught Chris's attention. "I'm telling you, dude. She told me she's living with two guys. What I wouldn't give to be one of them."

Chris dropped his jersey and stood up, not moving, waiting to hear more. He wasn't disappointed.

"You think they get up to some kinky shit?" Another voice. Sniggers and laughter followed the question.

"I don't know, man, but I'd love to find out." The first voice again, putting extra emphasis on the word love. More laughter. "Those curls would be perfect for grabbing hold and hanging on."

"How do you know she's not shaved?" A different voice this time, followed by the sound of something hitting a locker.

"I meant the curls on her head, sicko."

"I'm not the one fantasizing about a threesome with another guy!" Another thud of something hitting a locker, followed by more laughter.

"I didn't say anything about a threesome!"

"Why didn't you tap that at the party over the weekend then?"

The first guy made a derisive noise, a combination of a snort and a growl. "Her roommates wouldn't let anyone near her for long enough to get a chance. All the more reason to suspect she's boning both of 'em."

Chris had heard enough. He rounded the corner, fists clenched, ready to beat someone down. A girl at the party with curly hair that lived with two guys? No way they weren't talking about Megan. And the fact that the jackass acknowledged her roommates were protecting her from assholes like him just clinched it.

There were three guys there, two still in their pants and one sitting on the bench with a towel across his lap. He grabbed the guy he assumed was the first speaker and slammed him against the lockers. At least he wasn't the one in the towel. He recognized him as one of the guys that had danced with Megan at the party on Saturday. He was pretty sure he'd seen the guy with his hands all over her ass.

"Dude! What's your problem?" Yup. Chris had the main shit-talker.

"You're my problem." He shoved him into the lockers a little harder, banging the asshole's head again, his left arm barred across the guy's throat, his right hand ready to administer a beating if necessary. He felt another pair of hands pulling at his shoulder, but he didn't pay them any attention.

The asshole's eyes darted around, looking behind Chris. Probably hoping for someone to save him. Chris looked him over. He was some pissant little sophomore that wasn't even a starter yet. He was on defense, but Chris couldn't remember his name. Right now he didn't give a shit.

Chris exerted a little more pressure with his arm until the pissant's eyes returned to his face, bugging out just a little. Chris curved his lips in a menacing smile. "Good. I have your attention." He paused. "If I ever hear you running your mouth about her again, you're not going to be able to talk for a long time afterward." The guy's eyes bulged more while Chris increased the pressure for a second before he let go. He pulled away in disgust and grabbed a spare towel to wipe the other guy's sweat from his arm. The other two guys were staring at him as he tossed the towel back on the bench. "That goes for all of you."