Chapter 11: Patience

"Hand me that towel, Ginny!" Mrs. Weasely beckoned, tending to Malfoy's injuries. A trail of blood was spouting from a large gash on his forehead, and he had bloody cuts everywhere on his body. "Harry, could you pass the gauze?" Mrs. Weasely asked politely.

"Oh, of course." Harry did so, still staring at Draco's wounds. Who could've done such a thing? Harry wished he could say Voldemort, though he was in hiding at the moment. But that didn't mean he could strike... What about his father? Would Mr. Malfoy do such a thing to his only son just because he fell for a Gryffindor? Well, perhaps Harry's case was special. His family did seem to have something against him, and the Weasely's. Though Mr. Malfoy was stuck in his prejudice ways with Mr. Weasely's job occupation, loathing him for it. Maybe Mr. Malfoy couldn't stand the thought of his son mingling with the boy who took down his 'Lord' time and time again.

But that wasn't the matter at hand right now. Draco was bleeding fairly badly, which only worried Harry more.

"Harry," Harry looked up, into the comforting eyes of Mrs. Weasely. "He will be fine, just give him a little rest. It won't take long for me to finish wrapping him up. His wounds may look severe, but it's nothing to concern yourself over. Go, I'm sure Ron and Hermione need to chat with you. It's all right." She reassured him. Harry nodded, and with a final glance at Malfoy, he got up and left.

"Bloody hell he looked really ravaged..." Ron muttered.

"I can't help but feel bad for the guy... Oh, poor Harry. This must be an awful time for something like this to happen." Hermione shook her head sadly.

"Mrs. Weasely said he would be all right. He's all patched up and just needs rest." Harry interrupted the scene. Ron and Hermione both sat on a worn couch just outside the room where Malfoy lay. They had been deep in conversation when Harry arrived, but didn't look startled or vexed when he suddenly popped in.

"Really? That's a relief. Who do you think could have done such a thing?" Hermione smiled thankfully.

"I'd already started thinking the same thing myself. Voldemort is a possibility-"

"Didn't he just come out of a nasty duel with Dumbledore and you?" Ron interjected hastily. Harry gave him a look and continued. "Yes, but he could have easily sent someone to do his dirty work. This is Voldemort we're talking about. The other theory I thought of, and it pains me to think this, but what if Draco's father had something to do with this? No, he could have been the sole brains for this. If Draco let it slip that he's with the guy who warded off Voldemort for the past 5 years running, I think he might've lost it on him." Harry gulped, letting the notion sink inside them like fresh ink on paper.

"Would Lucius Malfoy really go that far?" Hermione questioned.

"I wouldn't put it past him. Look at what he did to Dobby."

"House elves are different, in their own sense." Ron frowned.

"This is why I started SPEW..." Hermione casually mentioned.

"Not the time, Hermione. But, those were the only things I could think of. Do you guys have any thoughts?" Harry left the floor to Ron and Hermione. A long silence ensued, in which both of his friends opened their mouths several times as to say something, but thought better of it.

"D'ya think he just got jumped?" Ron suggested. Harry shook his head. "That could be, but with his family all up with Voldemort I don't think anyone would dare touch him if they wanted to live. Death Eaters are out of the question, unless..." An idea struck Harry hard in the gut.

"Harry, you look pale. Are you all right?" Hermione knitted her eyebrows together in concern.

"Unless it was one of us."