Part 4: Mask

I couldn't sleep for a few days. Knowing that something was watching me made me paranoid and anxious. I often spent my time pacing around my home, checking every few minutes to make sure no one was near me. I resorted to wearing make up under my eyes to hide my black bags. 

I stayed indoors for several days, wearing long sleeves from being constantly cold in the middle of summer. No one has texted me, and I haven't texted anyone. 

"Shit...where's my violin?" I went through my closet in my room, searching for the hard black case containing one of my prized possessions. I sighed. "Damn, it's still in my cottage." I rolled my eyes and grabbed my shoes and a flashlight. It was starting to get dark out, but I needed my violin. 

"Can my paranoia go away for 20 minutes please..." I muttered, going out the deck and to the cottage. It was warm out from the sun's heat as it faded into the horizon. I shone my flashlight around me, encouraging that all this nonsense was in my head. 

I finally made it to the cottage, and have noticed a change, despite my few weeks' absence. The door was cracked open, like something tried to get in. And succeeded. 

"Oh god no..." I rushed ahead, and flung the door open, to see a man crouched down at my cooler. His head snapped towards me, revealing a white masked, blacked out around the eyes and mouth. I dropped the flashlight as the figure stood up to his full height. 

"Sh-sh-SHIT!!!!" I screamed, turning around and sprinting back towards safety. I didn't look back once. 

"Holy hell, what got you so spooked?" My brother commented while I slammed into the couch. I panted and looked up. 

"N-nothing...I may have saw some coyotes in the woods..." I got up and smoothed out my shirt. 

"What were you even doing out there this late anyway? You do remember the Masked Man story Dad would always tell us when we were younger?" I froze in place. 

"Uh...yeah, I remember..." I shook. "I'm gonna go to bed..." I ran upstairs and closed my bedroom door with a loud slam. I shut my eyes, hoping it was all a dream. I opened them, and saw my violin case on my desk, and my porch door slightly cracked open.