Chapter 20

Chapter 20 

 Moretta's P.O.V.

            “How’s everything?” I asked, entering the tiny room. Last night, I had gotten back from my usual rounds to find this weird girl passed out and bloodied on the floor. Helena and Kale had explained everything, how she attacked first, the fangs, and the clawed fingers. Something was totally off about this chick and I wasn’t about to just let her back out onto the streets, especially since she tried to kill Helena.

 Helena and Kale looked back at me, a hint of concern on their faces.

            “What?”

            “Ugh, there are more of you?” the girl on the bed growled, tugging at the restraints. Her eyes glowed an exotic blue, a hint of red lining the pupils. Her dark wings lay dull and ruffled by her sides. The white tank top and shorts she was wearing were completely red with dried blood. Most of it had been there much longer than just last night.

Helena and Kale walked over, whispering so the girl couldn’t hear.

            “She’s one of us; she’s an experiment from the Alcatraz Facility.” Helena whispered.

            “What?” my breath caught in my chest. It’s been years since we found the last rogue, Lynx. Now we got another one, far more extreme than any of us.

            “Helena read her,” Kale said.

            “Like a book,” she finished, smiling.

            “Hey, new girl.” The experiment called from the other side of the room, only slightly pulling at the restraints. “Are you wearing perfume or something?”

            “No,” I said slowly, slightly confused at her random question. She shrugged and went back to tugging at the plastic ties.

“What is she?” I asked, staring at Helena, trusting she would know the answer.

“She’s a hybrid between the DNA of extreme animals. As in animals that are highest in their class. She’s an Aswang, would be known in Mexico as El Chupacabra.” I raised my eyebrows, surprised at how much she already knew about the strange girl.

            “Do you think we can trust her? I mean-“

A light growling sound came from the girl’s direction. I looked past Helena and saw a large wolf in the spot where the girl was. Its hind legs were kicked up and scratching at the ties around its wrists. It growled, as it tried biting at the restraints.

            “Oh my god,” I gasped, looking at the wolf-girl paw at the ties.

            “She can shape shift too.” Helena said, glaring at the girl.

            “Obviously.” Kale retorted.

Suddenly, the plastic ties snapped. The girl kicked off the bed, making a run for Helena. I threw myself at her, growling menacingly. She had no right to attack my family. My cat-like claws flicked out, shoving her back on the floor.  

            “Do that again and I’ll be the end of you.” I hissed, baring my sharp canines.

            “I need blood.” she growled, baring equally sharp fangs. I shuddered.

            “You’re not getting it from my family.”

            “Then what?!” she snapped.

            “I’ll get you something. Kale tie her up again, we still can’t trust her.”

            “Fine.”

I leaped off the girl, as Kale grabbed her wrists. She leaned back to bite at his hands, but she had no effect. Kale’s silvery shield had already spread down his arms.

            “Helena.” I placed a hand on her shoulder, signaling I was there.

            “Yeah…”

            “Watch her for me, will you?”

            “With pleasure.” she replied, flicking a pair of dark sunglasses over her sightless eyes. Did Helena know more about this girl than she was letting on?