Three.

I got back home at 2:30am. I had hardly ever been awake past two, let alone out and about in town. There was an odd peacefulness about Tulsa in the late hours of the night, I'd always imagined it sort of like a bad horror film, with half naked teenagers running around drunkenly trying to kill each other, but it was peaceful. The streets were empty and the houses were dark, although they more or less looked abandoned when the lights were off. The rickety porches and littered beer bottles on the front lawn didn't help either. 

I pulled Tim's car up on the curb and sighed half-heartedly at my house. It wasn't small for our side of town, being one of the only two story homes, but it was nothing less than run-down. The yard was overgrown, the porch had no stairs, and the exterior was an odd blue color that came from painting over the gray with green and then the green with navy. It was the only home I'd ever known, and it was the only home I'd ever hoped to live in until I turned about nine and my mother drove me over the bridge to run some errands. Once I saw the Soc side of town, I developed a slight resentment for my house. 

Tim and Curly were laid out in the living room when I walked in. I didn't know where Angela was, and frankly I didn't care. Like I said, she was hardly ever home. 

Tim blinked at me as I shut the door, "Where the hell have you been?" 

"I rode with Dallas to the Curtis'." 

"You what?" Curly gasped, dumbfounded. 

"Well, I had to, he took your car. I wasn't going to let him keep it all night."

"He had my car?" 

I stared at Tim, "Didn't you see it was missing?" 

He smirked at me, lifting a bottle of whiskey up from beside his chair. I rolled my eyes. 

"Is that Dal's Christopher?" Curly was grinning at me. 

I looked down at my neck, and panicked slightly when I saw the medal still hanging there. 

"Hell no," Tim looked like he was going to have a stroke, "Hell no." 

"It's nothing, Tim." 

"You're going with Dallas Winston?" 

"No-" 

"I'll put that sorry son of a bitch in the dirt." 

I paused for a moment, just looking at him, confusion clear on my face. It was the first time Tim had ever shown a protective side over me, showed he even gave a shit about me at that. I was hardly a year younger than Tim, but we were quick to butt heads as children and I never once needed him to help me with anything. He had always assumed that I could handle my own and so he never felt the need to look after me the way he did Curly and Angela. I'd also never given him a reason to have to look out for me since I was hardly ever out in town and never ran with anyone. 

"Tim," I said, annoyed, "It's nothing, okay? We went over to some house party and Dallas let me wear it so no one would bother me. We're not going together." 

Tim glowered at me, "Well, take the damn thing off." 

"Let me wear it, hand it here, Victoria," Curly reached towards me. 

"I won't," I gripped the medal in my fist, "I'm going to keep it in my room until tomorrow when Dallas will hopefully come back for it." 

"Dallas Winston won't be stepping foot in my yard for a few weeks," Tim muttered, "Taking my car? He'd know better than to come by the next day." 

"I'll give it to him tomorrow night," Curly started, "I'll see him at Buck's. We going to Buck's tomorrow, Tim?" 

"Sure, Curly." 

I still wasn't sure. I knew I didn't want my brothers approaching Dallas at that party. Curly would be grinning like a madman, making all kinds of sexual comments to Dallas, prodding him all night just to get on his nerves. Meanwhile, Tim would probably greet him with a punch to the jaw, demanding to know what he did with me. And then all of Tulsa would know within an hour that Victoria Shepard not only left the house, but went on some sexual joyride with the one and only Dallas Winston. 

I shook my head, "I'll take it to him." 

"What?" Curly frowned, sounding unimpressed. 

"I'll take the medal to him tomorrow- to Buck's, I mean." 

"You're going to go to Buck's?" Tim said shallowly, narrowing his eyes. 

"I'll just go to give him the medal and then I'll leave. I don't want you two giving him any trouble." 

Curly smiled then, wickedly, "I can't wait to see you at Buck's." 

Tim stood up, "Can it, Curly. Are you sure you wanna go out there, Victoria?" 

"I'm sure, I want to give it back to him myself so it's not a big deal." 

He took a swig from the bottle, looking me over before smirking, "Dallas Winston. Damn, if you wanted to ruin your reputation or your shot of getting out of here, you couldn't have picked a better boy to blow it on. If one word gets out about you going around with him, you're fucked." 

"What do you mean?" I said, startled. As far as I knew, most of the boys in this town liked Dallas, if not admired him. Dallas Winston was too dangerous and too cold for people not to stand in awe of him. 

"He means you'll be labeled a whore," Curly mimicked Tim's smirk. 

"Just because I'm seen with him?" 

"Listen, Vic, Dally doesn't have friends who are girls, and Dallas doesn't have girlfriends. Dallas has girls, and what Dallas wants, Dallas gets. Everyone knows that. You get it?" 

I nodded, then realized I was still clutching the medal. I quickly released it, moving towards the stairs. 

"Goodnight, guys." 

"Night." Tim said at the same time that Curly started choking back his laughter.

Once I got into my room, I took the medal off gingerly and laid it in my sock drawer. I hoped Curly wouldn't come up here looking for it in the morning before I woke up. I'd kill him if he did. Tim was right, if word got around that Dallas and I were involved in any way- I could just imagine the stories people would come up with. The only person I trusted to give that medal back to Dallas without making a scene about it was myself. I wish it didn't have to be at Buck's, but I didn't know where else to find him. I knew his dad lived not too far from us, but Dallas was never there since he started drinking again. I could go to the Curtis', but I wasn't going to risk the embarrassment of him not being there. Plus, if he wasn't there I'd have to explain myself, which would only involve more people. My only option was Buck's, unless Dallas did manage to find enough nerve to come to my house tomorrow. I hoped he would. I wasn't much for party scenes, and Buck's was probably one of the more hood party scenes there was around here. 

And so I went to sleep with worry in my stomach and Dallas Winston on my mind.