Episode 16: Po' Daddy

Clarice was absolutely delighted when she came downstairs the next day and was greeted by yaps.

"A puppy!” she squealed, kneeling down to pick it up.

“That’s a present from Josie for us. She thought we missed Blondie.”

“Yeah, I miss her,” Clarice said, petting the dog’s head. She laughed and dodged away as he tried to lick her face. “What’s her name?”

“It’s a boy. And I think I’m going to call him Po."

“Po?” She giggled. “That’s a funny name. …But maybe he looks like a Po.”

Clarice had such a hard time concentrating on her homework, she and Scott were still working on it when Josie called down the stairs.

“Maggie’s here.”

Scott leapt to his feet. “Oh, crap.”

Clarice hurriedly put Po down, looking guilty. Together, she and Scott quickly packed up her homework.

“I didn’t know it was so late,” he mumbled. “I completely forgot about your supper.”

“It’s okay; I’m not really hungry.”

Scott pulled out his wallet and handed her five dollars. “You need to eat,” he said firmly. “Have your mother stop and get you something on the way home.”

“Okay,” she said cheerfully, taking the money from him.

He bent down and gave her a quick hug. “Bye, baby. I love you.”

“I love you, too, Daddy.” She reached down to pet the dog. “Bye, Po! I’ll be back in a couple of days, okay?”

Po slobbered on her hand.

Scott followed Clarice upstairs and watched as she went out the door and got into Maggie’s car.

“I hope that doesn’t come back to bite me in the ass,” he muttered to himself.

“What?” Josie asked.

He looked at her, grimacing. “We were so busy playing with the dog, Clarice didn’t get her homework finished and I completely lost track of time and forgot to get her dinner.”

“It’s not like it’s that late,” Josie said, consoling. “She still has time to eat dinner and finish her work.”

“Yeah, but Maggie will probably give me hell for it.”

“If she ever comes in…” Josie muttered.

Scott shrugged.

“So, other than him being a bad distraction, how do you like the puppy?”

Scott couldn’t help himself; he smiled. “I like him. Thank you.”

She smiled in return. She really had the most beautiful smile. “Have you thought of a name for him yet?”

“I think ‘Po.’”

“Poe? As in Edgar Allen Poe?”

“No, as in broke; lacking funds.”

“Broke?” Josie asked, confused. Then realization dawned on her face. “Oh, po’ as in poor. Like a po’ boy."

“Exactly.”

She laughed. “Where on earth did you come up with that?”

“I have no idea. I was half-awake this morning, contemplating my poverty, and that just came to mind.”