CHAPTER-7

~

Ron surprised himself by being the first one awake the next morning. Harry was dead asleep on the bed next to him, and when he walked into the kitchen he saw Hermione's door still closed. Opening it was usually the first thing she did every morning after getting dressed.

He was eating breakfast on the couch when he first heard a muffled groan from Hermione's room. At first he waved it off as Hermione waking up, but it grew louder and more insistent. He then heard muffled words, followed by a piercing scream.

All the blood leaving his face, Ron pelted to Hermione's room and flew open the door. She was lying on top of her sheets where she had apparently fallen asleep reading a book. She was thrashing about with her eyes firmly shut. She unleashed another scream as her whole body seemed to convulse.

Ron dashed to her side and put a hand on each of her cheeks. "Hermione! Wake up!"

Hermione continued to thrash about and screamed yet again.

"Wake up! It's me Ron! Everything is okay, please wake up! Damn it!"

"Ron, what's wrong?" Harry had appeared in the doorway.

"She's having a nightmare, she won't wake up. Wake up Hermione, please!"

Harry joined Ron and grabbed one of her hands, rubbing it gently in between his own hands. "Hermione, we're here. It's alright." His voice was much calmer than Ron's.

"Please Hermione." Ron choked, "We're here and you're safe. Wake up."

Hermione's eyes finally flew open and she bolted upright. "I was....she was....Harry! Ron!" She was wildly looking around the room before her eyes settled on first Harry, then Ron. Realizing now where she was, she collapsed into Ron's arms sobbing uncontrollably.

"There, there Hermione. You're safe. She can't hurt you anymore. We won't let anyone hurt you anymore." Ron spoke soothingly. Harry placed a hand on her leg. "That's right. You're here with me and Ron. You're okay."

Hermione slowly gained her composure. When she sat up in the bed, Harry cast a Cheering Charm on her. "All better now?"

"Yes Harry, thank you." Turning to Ron she spoke softly, "Thank you both."

Ron felt his stomach loosen. She was alright. Harry got up to make some hot chocolate and breakfast for her. Hermione stayed in Ron's arms, sniffling and hiccupping. After placing a tray with her breakfast on her bedside table, Harry excused himself for a shower. Ron sat cross legged on the end of her bed while she slowly ate.

"I'm glad you were both here." Hermione spoke softly.

"This is exactly why we're here. We need each other." They both shared a meaningful look with one another. Ron lost himself in his own thoughts. He knew he needed to talk to her about last night, he just wasn't sure if he was ready or if now was the time. Hermione gave him a knowing look.

"Wanna talk about what's on your mind?" Ron tried to act surprised but he knew that she saw right through him.

"We don't have to do this now."

Ron really didn't think she would be up for talking about much considering how she woke up, but she dismissed his concern with a shaking head. "I'm fine Ron, and honestly I wanted to talk about last night too."

Resigned that he wasn't getting out of it, Ron tried to gather his thoughts together. He had never really mastered the art of talking about how he felt about things. That he had done so twice so far on this trip had to be some kind of miracle, or maybe he was finally doing some growing after all.