Chapter Nineteen

Grayson stood on the road and looked up at the house. He had done a damn good job if he did say so himself. Of course he hadn't done it alone. Peter, Peggy Sue, Annie, Lauren, James and Garth had helped him every step of the way over the last six weeks.

The yellow paint was fresh and bright and the shutters and door were dark green and all hanging straight. The porch banisters and railings were white and sturdy. The flower gardens Callie had always been so proud of were neat, tidy and flourishing. The chicken coop and pig pens were repaired and full of animals and the barn roof and door were patched and the barn was full of horses and cows.

It had been too late to plant but the field behind the house was at least plowed up to make planting a little easier next spring. The house looked just like it had when Frank Logan had been alive.

Grayson pulled his watch from his pocket and saw that it was nearly noon. He looked down the road as if hoping he would suddenly develop vision that would let him see through the trees as he watched for Lauren and James. They were late and he was growing more impatient by the second. Grayson wiped his sweat covered face on the sleeve of his shirt and leaned against the fence post. He crossed his arms over his chest and waited.

When he finally heard the wagon coming he was nearly jumping up and down in his excitement. It came around the bend and he saw his brother-in-law and sister sitting up front. At first he was disappointed but then he saw her blond hair and realized she was riding in the back. Probably so she could stretch out more comfortably.

"Close your eyes! No peeking!" Grayson yelled and Lauren looked at him and gave him a thumbs up. James pulled the wagon to a stop and Grayson climbed up in the back. He saw her sitting there in her white dress with her blond hair hanging loose around her shoulders and had never seen anyone look more like an angel.

"You better not be peeking, Callie Fields." Grayson warned. Callie smiled at the childlike excitement she could hear in his voice.

"I am not peeking, Gray, but I have been gone for six long weeks stuck in that dusty old room at the docs. I'd like to see our house again." Grayson picked her up into his arms and cradled her against his chest. He jumped gently down to the ground and was going to keep carrying her when she set her jaw stubbornly.

"I can walk, Gray. I got shot in the chest, not in the legs." she reminded him. Grayson nodded and sat her down on her feet, though he kept his arm wrapped tight around her. Since almost losing her, he looked for any excuse to touch her. Whether it was brushing his fingers across her arm, smoothing her hair, or keeping his arm tight around her, he felt he had to have his hands on her at all times.

She was recovering well. She had gained back most of the weight that she had lost in the beginning and her skin was beginning to regain some color now that she had been allowed to go outside the last week. She could walk fine on her own though she got out of breath easily. The doc said that was because of the damage to her lung but he was pretty certain it would get better in time and Grayson figured he was right since it already seemed to be improving.

"Okay, keep your eyes closed and walk forward slowly. I won't let you fall." Grayson said.

"I know you won't." Callie replied. He led her to the walkway and stood behind her with his hands on her shoulders.

"Okay, my angel. Open your eyes." he said. Callie opened her eyes and clapped her hands happily as tears filled her eyes.

"Grayson, it's beautiful!" she exclaimed. "It looks just like it used to."

"Do you need anything else?" James asked from where he and Lauren were still sitting on the wagon. Grayson shook his head but didn't look back at them. Lauren laughed lightly.

"Come on, let's go home and leave the two lovebirds alone for a while." she said. James nodded and flicked the reigns and the old wagon rattled on down the road.

"Do you really like it, Callie?" Grayson asked. Callie nodded.

"I love it." she said. "Thank you."

"I had help." he admitted.

"I know you did but no one would have done any of this if you hadn't asked so it was still your doing." she replied. Grayson smiled proudly and kissed her hair.

"Let's go inside." he said. Callie stopped to smell some of the beautiful lilies planted along the walkway and then Grayson led her into the house. Callie couldn't believe her eyes. It was as if she'd stepped back in time.

Everything was fresh and painted and shining. The curtains were made of the fabric that she had picked in town all those weeks ago.

"Lauren, Peggy Sue and Annie made the curtains and reupholstered the couches and stuff. They made new bedspreads for the beds too." Grayson said. Callie nodded and looked up at him.

"You are an amazing man. How did you manage to do all this? It didn't seem like you left my side much over the past weeks."

"You slept a lot." Grayson replied. He bent down and pressed his lips softly against hers. "Come on and I'll show you our bedroom." he said. They made their way slowly up the stairs, taking their time to keep Callie from growing too winded since she refused to let him carry her. They walked down to the back bedroom that had been Callie's parents room. Grayson opened the door and Callie realized that this room looked nothing like it had before.

The dark green paint had been replaced by a bright cheery yellow. The dark cherry wainscoting had been painted white. The bed was large and sitting in the center of the room with a bright yellow and white floral quilt on it. The two dressers and the wardrobe were light oak and beautiful with intricate designs carved into them.

"Grayson, this is beautiful." Callie said looking around the room. A washbasin and giant copper tub bigger than any Callie had ever seen was in one corner along with a floor length silver mirror.

"I did this room myself. I picked out the fabric and Lauren sewed the stuff for me but I picked out everything and chose how I wanted it to go. I didn't think all the dark, heavy furniture, paint and curtains fit you. You are like sunshine and I wanted our room to be sunshine too." he replied.

"I'm sunshine?" Callie asked. Grayson nodded.

"I thought I'd lost you, Callie. I thought you were gonna be gone forever and let me tell you those were the darkest and dreariest days of my life. I was sure I would never see the sun again. Then you woke up and you started getting stronger everyday and do you know what happened? The sun came back out." Callie laughed happily.

"You big softie." she teased. Grayson kissed her nose.

"I'm your big softie." he replied. Callie yawned.

"Tired?" he asked. She blushed and bit her lip as she nodded.

"Yes. It seems that all I ever want to do is sleep." Grayson shrugged.

"You almost died, Callie." he said matter of factly. He led her over to the bed and pulled the covers back. He helped her get comfortable and he pulled the covers over her. He kissed her forehead.

"I'll cook us something to eat and bring you some when it's done." he said. Callie raised her brow.

"You cook now?" she asked. Grayson feigned hurt.

"I've always been able to cook."

"There is one thing missing from our house Grayson." Callie said. Grayson frowned.

"What's that?" he asked. She smiled and winked at him.

"Babies. Lots and lots of babies. Running through the barns. Scaring the chickens. Riding the pigs. Digging up my flowers and trampling your crops." Grayson laughed and she saw the happiness light up his green eyes.

"Just as soon as you are feeling up to it, Mrs. Fields, I promise to get to work on them babies." Callie felt herself shiver with anticipation and excitement.

"Just let me get a nap and we'll see what happens." she replied. Grayson laughed again and kissed her forehead.

"Get some rest angel. I'll bring you up some burnt soup as soon as it's done."

"Burnt soup?" Callie asked and Grayson turned with his hand on the doorknob.

"I said I could cook." he said with a grin. "I never said I could cook good."