Chapter six

Haley spotted us right away and grinned. Melissa, following her gaze saw me and practically knocked over a mother and her toddler as she rushed over to the table.
"Ohmigod Cassieee!!!" She shrieked. "I've missed so freaking much, why don't you answer my texts anymore???"
Haley made her way through the crowded cafe, chuckling at Melissa's overreaction. I had forgotten how much these girls mean to me.
"I don't know I.guess I was just really upset." A smile was creeping onto my lips. These girls brought out the best side of me no matter my mood. Jasper turns around in time to see the small smile and gasps.
Haley turns to him. "What? Is something wrong?" She sounded concerned.
"No... just that... Cassie is smiling again." He said with his sarcastic grin. They laughed and I scowled. "No, but seriously Ive missed seeing that smile. Its been so long, I almost forgot how you can light up a room even with the tiniest one if those smiles." Jasper looked at me with an expression I couldn't quite read. One part sadness, one part happiness and one part I didn't recognize. The girls looked at me thoughtfully and agreed with Jasper.
"I really have missed you and your constant smile," Haley says as she pulls me out if my chair and into a hug. "Hopefully it will light up the halls of cchs again soon."
"And maybe even the track." Melissa said, stating what had been hanging in the air since we arrived. We stood awkwardly, no one knowing what to say.
"Speaking of, we should get started on mission get Cassie running again." Jasper rubbed his hands together like he does when he's about to dig deeply into an assignment at school.
"First things first, we need to come up with a better name." Haley muttered and I laughed. I surprised everyone at the table, including myself, but it felt so good that I didn't stop. Soon we were all laughing so hard our abs hurt and we couldnt breathe. Suddenly, I stilled, rememberimg how Molly and I used to laugh together. We would clutch each other for support and end up crumpling to the ground anyway.
I was seriously tempted to run out of the cafe then and there, but there were two major problems with that. Number one, I can't run. Number two, Jasper is my ride home and I can't walk the three blocks back home due to my bum leg.
"Are you okay?" Jasper asked, brows furrowed.
"Yea I'm fine just... nevermind." I halfheartedly waved him off.
"If our mission is to succeed, then you need to be open with us, Cassie." Jasper said sternly "Are you okay?"
"No Jasper, I'm not okay. My sister is dead and whenever I do anything or go anywhere I am reminded of her. I can't run to make the pain go away, and I'm stuck sitting around doing nothing because I can't even fucking walk home from here without my leg giving out."
Everyone was taken aback at my sudden out burst. I used their shock as my getaway. I clumsily stood and limped out the door as fast as my stupid leg would carry me.