At The Crossroads Chapter 28

Chapter 28

*Britt*

“You know, I never actually thanked you.” Liam whispered.

It didn’t take me long to figure out what he meant; he had been on overdrive since everything happened last week.

“There’s really no need for that.” My voice trembled and he took my hand.

“Well, thank you anyway. I’m not letting her anywhere near you again. Not after that.”

The doorbell rang, and I knew everyone was here; we were getting together so we could leave for the bachelorette party.

After everyone had settled down on the couch they stared at me for a minute before Ally asked, “What the hell happened last week?”

They all stared at us so expectantly; it was making my heart speed up.

“Well, I went to go meet Soph for coffee after I left Ally and Lex a voicemail saying how I didn’t feel safe alone with her.” I started pacing around the room; I needed to keep moving.

“Fuck,” Lexi muttered. “We should’ve answered.”

“It doesn’t matter now.” My voice was small but I kept going. “I was there for a total of five minutes before I turned to leave but she... she said she knew Damien was back, and that kind of made me stop. She forced me into her car and threatened to crash it and kill us both if I answered Liam’s calls or texts.”

“What a bitch!” Ally shouted and Josh had to pull her back down to the couch.

Why did I still feel the need to defend Soph at that comment? Under no circumstances did she deserve to be defended; I couldn’t shake the feeling though.

“Well, um, anyway. After a few hours of her driving deeper into nowhere I told her to drive me home, and she agreed easily. Then, um...” My voice trailed off slowly.

I didn’t want to remember the fact that she had tried to kill Liam; almost killing both of us in the process.

“Then what?” Marie insisted.

“Then” I began; my voice was already soft. “She saw Liam and Paul outside of here and sped up toward Liam-”

“What the fuck is her problem?” Lexi shouted, shaking slightly. She seemed jumpier than usual.

“Guys, calm down. Obviously she didn’t hurt him; he’s still here.” I was on the edge of crying, and I know my voice showed it.

“She almost killed you.” Liam whispered shakily on the other side of the room.

“Wait, what?” Skyler questioned, looking sort of shocked.

“She didn’t try to kill me! She just... I don’t know what happened, okay? Maybe she did.” My voice had started off loud, but on that last sentence everyone leaned in closer to hear me.

"Is she the reason you and Liam were in the ER last week?" Lexi asked softly; her eyes were locked on the ground.

"Yeah. I turned the wheel so she wouldn't hit him and we crashed into a pole."

Silence all around the room; nobody could look into each other’s eyes.

“Britt, we need to talk for a second.” Ally rushed her words and pulled me into the next room.

“Is everything okay?” I asked her; she was partially avoiding eye contact.

“Does Lex seem a little too... out of it today?” She was giving off an extremely worried attitude, which wasn’t normal for Ally. She always knew how to keep calm during almost anything.

“Yeah I noticed something was up when I was talking in there.” Our voices were hushed; we were trying not to get Lexi’s attention.

“Well, what do you think is bothering her?” Running her hand through her curls she made eye contact with me.

The look she gave me was nervous; if she had told anyone else that this was bothering her they would have blown it off. Ally and Lexi had gotten really close lately, and if something was bugging Lex that much Ally had to know. She had to help.

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s just all the stress lately; especially with Harry being gone all night last week. She’s probably just at her boiling point.” Ally nodded slowly in agreement. “Let’s just go back out there and leave.” Mumbling I grabbed Ally’s arm as we walked out, but Liam stopped us.

“Britt, there’s a police officer here to talk to you about last week.” He murmured; only Ally and I could hear.

Her eyes widened slightly at that; what was she afraid of? If anything I should’ve been; after all, Sophie could pin the whole accident on me all too easily.

“Hello Ms. Winters,” The officer greeted me out in the hallway as he glanced me over.

“Last week... I swear, that was an accident.” Trying to convince him it wasn’t my fault right away may have seemed defensive, but I wasn’t going to take the blame for this.

“Relax, Sophie talked to me. She takes the blame for the accident.”

Shock ran through my body; she took the blame? What exactly was she trying to do? My mouth was parted slightly and the officer chuckled.

“Wh-what exactly did she tell you?” The confusion and pure surprise showed in my tone.

“She told me exactly what happened that night.”

There was no way she did that; if she had truly said everything then she would’ve been arrested and I would have been questioned much earlier than this.

Continuing he added, “That you guys went out for coffee, she was driving you back here, and the car hit an ice patch and slid out of control. Is that not the truth, Ms. Winters?”

“N-no, it’s the truth. I just wanted to make sure.”

He was staring at me now; curious with how I was acting.

“Am I free to go now? It’s just my friends and I are going out and we can’t be late.” Now it was my turn to avoid eye contact with people; was that making him suspicious of me?

“Of course; thank you for your time.” He said the words slowly; glancing me over again before leaving.

Letting out a wavering sigh I walked back into the room to find everyone staring at me; they wanted to know what that had been about.

“Is everything okay, Britt?” Marie asked, coming over to me.

“I’ll tell you later when we’re alone, okay?” She nodded at my whispered reply as we got our jackets and purses.

“Sky, put this blindfold on.” Lex giggled as she wrapped the cloth around Skyler’s eyes.

“Why?” She questioned, almost nervous of the answer.

“Oh, you’ll see. I should warn you though; you’ll enjoy this much more than strawberries.” Lexi winked and even with the blindfold Sky still managed to punch her in her ribs.

“Let’s just go,” Ally persisted, helping bring Sky down to the limo.

“Why so eager dear?” Lexi snickered, teasing Ally and sliding in next to Sky.

“I’ve always enjoyed parties,” Ally muttered.

Yeah, this would be a little more than a party.