Chapter 1

NICKI POV

I lay in the hospital bed wondering when the hell Demi is going to show up. Shes been so busy with the tour lately but Dems has always found a way to make it to every scheduled appointment. The door opens in a rush and i smile when i see Demis beautiful face barge into the room. She gives me an apologetic look before standing next to me and taking my hand in hers. I smile up at her before returning my attention to the doctor.

"As I was saying," the doctor smiles at Demi as she continues, "it feels like the baby has dropped even lower. But we can do the sonogram and see just how progressed you are.

I glance up at Demi, her smile beaming down onto me. I've never felt so in love before. She's literally everything I've ever wanted and more. Everyday I thank my lucky stars for putting her in my path.

The cold cream for the ultrasound smears around my belly causing me to cringe slightly. Demi holds my hand tighter before bringing it up to her lips and kissing my knuckles gently.

I watch the screen and even though I can hardly make out the image, I know that's our baby in there. That little bundle of joy has taken over our hearts and we haven't even met them yet. At night, demi likes to have what she calls "tummy time". She'll sit in front of my belly and talk to the baby hoping to get a response. Sometimes the baby will move or kick in response and every time they do Demi gushes and cries almost instantly.

Dr. Torres points something out on the screen, "There's the head, can you make out the nose?"

I glance up at Demi who has a steady stream of hot tears cascading down her face. "They're beautiful." I hear her whisper.

"Would you like to know the sex?" Dr. Torres looks over at us just before stopping the screen on a certain area of the baby.

"No we want it to be a surprise." I say before Demi can utter the "yes" that was about to fall from her lips. A look of disappointment appears but vanishes in almost the same instant after I squeeze her hand.

"Well the baby looks healthy and seeing as they have lowered, you are due any time now." She flashes a cheeky smile before gathering her clipboard and heading out of the room to give Demi and I a bit of privacy.

The look of elation smeared on Demis face is not easily mistakable. I haven't seen her this happy sine our wedding day. I'm not saying don't make her happy because i know damn well I do, but there's only certain things that can make her over the moon like she is now.

"Babe, any day now!" I can practically feel the excitement in her voice and i find it so endearing. She helps me off of the bed and onto my feet.

"I know I'm getting a bit nervous." I let out a scared laugh. Honestly, I've always been so scared to become a parent. What if they don't like me or they grow up to hate me? I mean yeah I would take care of my sister when she were younger but that doesn't mean I was a lone with her every single waking moment. I would have never agreed to the artificial insemination if I had married someone other than Demi. I know she'll be by my side through thick and thin and not only face these challenges with me but conquer them with me as well.

"I am too, but I'll be there with you every step of the way." Easy for you to say. You aren't pushing a human being through your vagina.

I exhale sharply before turning the corner in the hallway as I begin my descent towards the front doors. My back is hurting and my ankles are swollen. I want nothing more than to lie down and wait for this child to pop out.

We make it out to the parking lot and Demi opens my door for me. She helps me into the vehicle before getting into the drivers seat and pulling away.