16

She looked amazing. He had watched her as she came to a stop at the top of the staircase; her face displayed such a look of wonder, as she took in her surroundings. Of course, if he had ever actually thought about her and extended an invitation, he could have been the one to share that experience with her. But it wasnt his arm she had looped in hers, and it wasnt his hand that gently led her down the staircase. She looked beautiful in her cream bodice gown that flowed to the ground, she was wearing make-up and her hair was in a half ponytail while the rest cascaded down her shoulders in a slight wave. He had never seen her look more beautiful, and at first he didnt recognise her, he had had to do a double take she was that breathtaking. He watched as she slowly descended the stairs, smiling at people who passed. After stopping to talk to Coach Matthews, he watched with jealously, as Ryan led her onto the dance floor. They were talking about something, and judging by the far away look on Haleys face, it wasnt something she wanted to talk about. He was about to go over and see if she was all right, when Ryan began spinning her around the room, and she began laughing. She was happy; he hadnt seen her like this since before their fight. But he was going to make it right. He just hoped she would stay around long enough to listen. He took a deep breath, and made his way out of hiding.

Scott there you are. Ive been looking for you everywhere. I was starting to think you werent gonna make it.

Coach, can this wait a minute, I have something I need to do.

Doesnt have anything to do with Miss Haley James now does it?

Lucas just looked at him, he didnt know what to say.

You really hurt that girl.

I know.

Shes having a good time here tonight, youre not gonna spoil that now are you?

I came here to make things right with Haley.

You better make sure you do, because your game is starting to suffer. Not only that, but so is she.

Lucas nodded as he turned, making his way to the dance floor.

Ryan was the first to see him appear through the crowd. Lucas stood nervously, as Ryan nodded, signalling him to approach.

Mind if I cut in? he asked quietly.

No not at all. Ryan replied, untangling himself from Haley, stepping back to allow him room.

Haley was about to put her hands up, but as her gaze suddenly landed on Lucas face, she stopped.

Ryan, where are you going? she asked a little nervously, but also angry that he was leaving her when he promised he would keep her away from Lucas.

Just to get us some drinks, I wont be a minute.

Ryan, wait but he had already disappeared into the crowd. Haley looked defeated.

Dance with me? Lucas asked with a nervous shrug, as he gazed down at her, waiting for her to look up.

An older couple dancing beside them turned to face them, the woman smiled, then noticed that they were standing far apart.

Young man, why arent you dancing with this beautiful young woman? she asked, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

I asked her, but shes mad at me.

Why wont you dance with him?

He already has a date. The woman looked around them, but she could see no one who seemed to be missing a partner.

I dont see her dear.

Haley looked around, she couldnt see Samantha anywhere. Maybe she was in the ladies room, applying more make-up, if that was even possible.