»2. Ghosts«

Dad walked ahead of me, lugging one of my two suitcases. I hadn't brought much with me and dad was shocked with my lack of attire. When he saw that, he insisted that after the supplies shopping that I'd go clothes shopping with Evelyn. Even though I wanted to minimize my time with the woman who had stolen my father from us, I merely nodded to his words. But that was all I did. That was all I wanted to do from now on-just nod to all of the questions, statements, and complaints anyone had toward me.

I didn't want to fight anymore, and I definitely didn't want to rebel against anyone's orders. I had gotten all of my rebelliousness out of my system back in Maine. I'd tried to take control of my life many of times, but I'd failed more and more as time went on. Keeping a low profile and making sure my outspoken personality didn't get me in trouble was my biggest priority nowadays.

Dad used one hand to unlock the door. It creaked open and he stepped in. I followed after him quickly, hiking up my duffle bag higher on my stiff shoulder. I swept my gaze over the large foyer and the living room that panned out to the left of me.

A massive plasma TV that was mounted on a mint colored wall, below it was a plush, white fur carpet. A beautiful couch set was pressed against the wall, facing the TV. Breathtaking art pieces and paintings dotted along the tall walls and on tables. The odd thing was that I wasn't shocked about my father's riches. I was more shocked at all the family portraits they had up and photos hung up from family outings. We didn't have that in our old house when he used to live with us. Mom had to drag him out of bed to do anything, and the entire time he would sulk on his own, sipping on a beer the entire time.

I guess he wanted to be better for Evelyn, I thought to myself. Spinning around, I absorbed the entirety of the house in one glance. I finally came to a stop and asked: "Where is everyone?"

"Oh, Evelyn is out with the boys at the country club in Winchester Hills."

They went to a freaking Country Club? My God, they were snobbier than I had first assumed.

"They'll be back any moment though." Dad assured me, knotting his fingers together in front of him-unknotting them and knotting them occasionally. He was nervous. It was a huge tell-tale sign that he was uncomfortable. A quirk of a smile formed on my lips, glad in the strangest of ways. "Do you want me to show you up to your bedroom?"

I agreed and we went up the stairs. He stopped before the last room on the left and opened the door. I stepped over the threshold on my own, he stayed behind. It was a lot larger than my last room. The walls were painted a gross piss-yellow shade. I tolerate this, though. I didn't want to come off too picky and demand a change. It wasn't like I was going to be here for that long. They'd surely kick me out once college came around next year.

I flung the duffle bag to the bed and pulled out the picture frame of Lenard that I had. He was my older brother and it was the only photo that I'd taken from home and brought with me.

Dad cleared his throat as I went over to the nightstand.

"What?" I asked, glancing over my shoulder.

"Can you...not put that out in your room? Anyone can walk in here and see that."

I stood back and narrowed my eyes at him. Was he kidding me? My brother was the reason why I was still alive, and my father was well aware of that. "Why can't I? I don't care if people walk in and see it."

"I care though. And I don't want it there."

"He's my brother. And your son-if you've forgotten."

Well, there goes for me trying to not rebel.

He hushed me, waving both his hands downward in the attempt to calm me down. "I know, I know. It's just that I think...for the best of everyone, you shouldn't bring that out. Maybe put in a journal or scrap book."