DML: Chapter Twelve: Lee Handles The Truth

My eyes pop open as we fall forward off the edge. Ben lets go of my hands and he’s lost to me, not that his whereabouts is my focus. The ground rushes up to meet me frighteningly fast and my arms and legs circle in front of me in a blind panic. The white canopy of the dome rushes by, the lights blur, and sound becomes a melody nearly drowned out by the sound of my petrified screaming. Oh god, I’m having flashes of a CSI team scraping up my spattered remains.

‘Love, let go. Let it happen.’

 Placing my trust in Ben, and myself, I let go and instinct takes over. My torso twists and I summersault around until my legs are beneath me, my arms out to my side. I land squarely on my feet. Pain jolts up my legs from my heels, and my spine creaks in protest, the base of my skull tingling. Gravity keeps on tugging me down and I fall onto my hands and knees, struggling to breathe. Yeah, I land on my feet, but damn does it hurt. My whole body trembles as I flex my toes, hearing the joints pop. Maybe it would hurt less if I were wearing shoes. I take another deep breath and stand up looking for Ben.

Windswept, he holds the flailing woman in a headlock, waiting for me. There is a look of fierce pride on his expression as he shoves the girl in my direction. “Feed, love. Your body needs it.”

The woman quakes in my arms. Her mascara has slipped down her face with her tears leaving her with bloodshot panda eyes and her lip-gloss is smeared to demented clown proportions. She looks pitiful, in her too low top, and too short skirt. Her fake tan fails to hide the deathly pallor of her skin. She peeks up at me with undiluted fear, the sharp stink of it wafts from her, and I find my body reacting to it. Her blood thunders, heart racing, and the smell of her blood beneath her skin is a siren call. My face changes, fangs lengthening and grazing my bottom lip. My throat contracts, and burns like fire. Oh goodness, my tongue is dry, parched. Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump. I lower my head and yank her head to the side. I place my lips at her throat; feel her pulse beat wildly against them. My toes curl and my stomach cramps, rumbles loudly … so tempting. I clench my jaw in a one jerky move, and pierce the bulging vein in her neck, cringing as I do, but once the hot, wet blood splashes against the inner curve of my cheeks, I suck harder. Her blood gushes, coats the back of my throat, and I groan when the burn is extinguished. I clutch her to me, swallow, and my brain ricochets off the inside of my skull. This new extra part of me attaches itself to something unseen inside of her and draws energy from it. I feel revitalized the longer it leeches off her, so I throw more power and focus into taking whatever it is that makes me feel so good. I feel amazing, powerful and strong. No, I’m not only drinking her blood, but stealing some of her soul, I think. As it sinks into me, it nourishes the twisted shell of what is left of my own.

Ben wrenches me away and the woman folds in on herself. I snarl at him, ready to go for the jugular. “Control yourself,” he growls, arm extended towards me hand fisted. “I promised you no death, and I mean to keep that promise.”

His gorgeous voice penetrates the fog of hunger, and I shudder, rein myself in. “She’s alive?” I ask in a deep voice tainted with yearning.

Ben watches me warily. “She lives, and will be nothing but a little anemic, which will right itself over a short time. You drank much.”

I look away as Ben picks her up and places her on a nearby bench. He pulls her skirt down to cover her modesty and places her handbag under her head to keep it safe. Huh. He treats female prey with more care than male. Thumbing her eyelids back, he speaks in a low calming voice. He tells her to forget what she has seen, and convinces her she and her partner had too much to drink, and became separated. He also tells her to avoid secluded areas at night. Once done, he comes back to me and looks me over.

I wipe away the blood on my mouth, and strangely, I want to cry. How horrible I am now! That was violent, and creepy, but I liked it. I feel better. Stronger. How sick is that? Oh, but this is what I asked for isn’t it? To be with Ben forever, like this, always.