Fifteen

Dear Klaus,
Thank you for everything. These past few months you've shown me more admiration than I've ever known and I adore you for that. You've made me laugh and cry and feel loved. I only hope that I made you do the same.
You've given me so many gifts. You've given me immense joy. You've given me some very beautiful memories that I will keep with me and cherish for the rest of eternity. But you've given me a gift that I can't accept. The gift of eternal life.
At the time, I thought it sounded like a good idea. I mean, who wouldn't want to live forever with enhanced abilities? But I want a family, Klaus. I want kids and a great big house for them to run around in all day long. I want to celebrate turning eighty years old with my husband. I want to grow old with the ones I love. I want to watch my children grow up and have kids of their own. I want to be buried with my mom and dad. I want all of these stereotypical human things that I didn't know I wanted until the second I couldn't have them.
I didn't realize that I needed these things until I saw you with the boy. Elijah told me that you planned on turning him once he turned older. But please, for the love of God, please at least let him decide. Tell him all of the pros and cons of not being human and choosing vampirism over a family. Let him make an informed decision for his future. Don't make it for him.
Klaus, I don't know if I loved you, but you were the closest I ever came to love. You will hold a special place in my heart, always and forever.
I don't know if my suicide will effect you or not, seeing as I have no idea how deep your infatuation with me ran, but please know that I don't want you to suffer or be in pain because of me. You're a great person and you will find love again, regardless of if you loved me or not.
Thank you,
Lydia

A single tear rolled down Klaus' cheek as he finished her letter. He held the ring her gave her between his thumb and index finger.

He couldn't believe it. The woman he was beginning to fall in love with had killed herself.

Klaus wanted to scream. He wanted to scream and cry and tear things to shreds, but all he could do was collapse onto the floor and cry.

---

Hours later, when Elijah arrived back home at the compound, he was surprised to find his brother laying on the floor, curled up with his knees tucked in his chest and his arm outstretched. Klaus had a blank expression on his face.

"Brother, are you alright?" Elijah asked, crouching down to get closer to Klaus.

"She's gone," Klaus whispered, almost inaudibly.

"What do you mean 'she's gone'?" Elijah asked, unsure of what Klaus was talking about.

"She's gone. Lydia. She killed herself," Klaus explained. "She killed herself because of me. The one thing she wanted was to be human and I took that from her." A tear rolled down his cheek and onto the floor. "It's all my fault."

Elijah didn't know what to say. He had never seen his brother so distraught, so upset.

"I loved her, you know," Klaus confessed. "Well, I almost did. I loved her, but I wasn't in love with her yet."

Elijah looked at his hands, wishing there was something he could say to console his mourning brother.

Klaus sighed, sitting up, still looking very disassociated.

"I don't think I'll ever be able to love again," he whispered.

A/n: so I guess that's the end of this story???? It feels weird for it to be over (especially so quickly wth) but I hope you guys enjoyed it and I'm still going to be writing more fanfiction so if you have any requests or people you want it to be with, let me know in the comments ok thanks

Ps sorry for killing Lydia it just felt like the thing to do u feel??