Healing 1

Jean did his best to bear the pain as he was carried into the doctor's clinic. Once he was laid down in one of the beds he allowed himself a few gasps as he fought the pain. His whole body hurt, mostly his torso and the fire in his injured leg, but he had bruises pretty much everywhere. It was quiet for a time as he lay there waiting. He had to fight hard to stay awake. He felt almost too tired to sleep, that bone deep weariness that makes it difficult to do so. He was aware of Bertholt and Reiner entering a few moments later though he didn't have the energy to greet them. Then after more time had passed the doctor entered. He came over to the bed and sat down on a stool next to it unwrapping the bandage from Jean's thigh. The doctor gently examined the bullet wound and Jean had to clench his teeth. The air stung and burned as it came in contact with his wounded flesh.

"How's the pain?" the doctor asked.

"It's fine," Jean grunted through his teeth. The doctor looked up at him briefly before continuing his examination.

"Well it looks like you're a very lucky man. The bullet just missed the bone but it went all the way through. I'll have to cleanse the wound to make sure it doesn't get infected. This will sting a bit." Jean took a few deep breaths as the doctor retrieved a dark glass bottle. Then Jean felt the singular sensation of liquid being poured through the wound. It was so strange but the peculiar nature of the feeling was soon drowned in a rush of agony. Burning fiery pain filled his perception so quickly Jean didn't have time to prepare. He felt his back arch as he screamed in excruciating pain. He had never felt something so tormenting in his entire life. Somehow this was worse than the initial wound had been.

Jean thrashed losing control of his body in the overwhelming agony. Breathing became an exercise of gasping then screaming again as he kicked and lurched; his muscles beyond his ability to order. He was vaguely aware of Reiner trying to speak to him but he couldn't process anything beyond whose voice he was hearing. Then there was weight across his shoulders. His arms and legs were also being grabbed as his muscles spasmed and fought though the pain. Breathe! Jean thought to himself. I just need to keep breathing. This will pass. But the rational thought couldn't calm the animal instinct. He wanted the pain to stop, to go away. He felt the pinch of a needle, but it was a passing thing and after a few seconds he had already forgotten it. There was nothing but pain.

Wait...pain?

Yes, more pain than he had ever experienced before.

What? What pain?

The pain, the burning pain.

What?

Jean's thoughts faded into the cool darkness. It was calm in there, relaxing. There was no pain. Jean followed his thoughts. He felt all the pain disappear. There was light up ahead and a cool breeze. Then he was standing in a field, grass waving in the wind. The sun shone warmly above him.

"I'm proud of you Jean." A voice said. Jean turned to look into the familiar face.

"Marco," he breathed.

Reiner was just as surprised as the doctor when Jean started thrashing wildly. He reacted quickly coming forward and doing his best to pin Jean's arms down. Jean's screams were enough to bring Eren and Mikasa running in. Eren quickly grabbed Jean's legs, doing his best to hold them, but it required Mikasa's help. Bertholt wished there was something he could do but he didn't trust his injured shoulder to allow him to help. Besides, one of Jean's thrashing limbs could catch him unaware and cause more damage. The doctor had a syringe prepared with a clear liquid. Reiner was yelling at Jean, telling him to relax to calm down.

"Hold him steady," the doctor ordered. They glanced at him, seeing the needle and doing their best. Reiner had even turned Jean slightly so his shoulder was available. The doctor expertly inserted the needle delivering its contents. Jean continued fighting against them, but it was obvious whatever he'd been injected with was working. Krista came running in moments later.