Chapter 38

Salara's POV:

The next morning i woke to the sun streaming in from the large windows. I sighed softly, stretching with the amount of space i could. Darien was spooning me from behind, his arm wrapped securely around my waist, holding me against his chest.

After i had helped him clean up we had gone to bed together, my arms wrapped around him as he told me every single crime he ever committed. It was his way of a confession. His way of confronting the demons that lived inside his memory since he was little.

***Flashback***

Darien lay on his back, his eyes studying the canopy above us. "and then i pushed his head under the surface and just waited." he whispered, his voice heavy with sadness. "i waited till he stopped moving and then even then i still held on, till i was absolutely sure he was dead" he muttered letting out an exasperated sigh.

I felt his hand drop away from my waist. the movement had me looking up into his eyes,as i kept my arms locked around his waist. "you okay?" i asked, propping my self up on my side so i could look down at him.

he stared at me without saying a word for a good full minute. "you were serious weren't you?" he breathed, his voice soft.

"serious about what?" i asked my brow curling in confusion. "not leaving" he stated his eyes trying to gaug my reaction.

I stared down at darien a man i had detested only days before but now as i looked into his vulnerable eyes i couldn't find anything in him that i hated. he was just like me, only the circumstances that he was raised in made him who he was today.

Even after hearing him tell me about the man he drowned i still couldn't find it in myself to feel repulsed by him. Darien may be many things but a murder was not one of them. All the people he told me about were people who had provoked him into the action.

Most of them were men who had attempted to kill Darien because they were hired by Scorsazy, and the few others who weren't were either trying to rob him or cheat him out of the money they owed.

without even thinking i slowly reached up and gently, ran my fingers over his face. my fingertips gliding over the deep lines etched into his forehead to the soft lids of his eyes to the corners of his lips. The whole time his eyes never left me as i traced small invisble lines into his skin.

"I promised didn't i?" i whispered, my eyes locking with his, as i slid my hands up into his hair, my fingers playing with their tips.

he shook his head, closing his eyes as he exhaled. "i will always be waiting then" he muttered. "waiting for what?"

"for the day you finally get sick of sleeping next to a monster" he said, his voice serious. I leaned down, pressing my lips to his forehead before trailing them down his cheek, then to the corner of his jaw. "i hope your immortal" i whispered, a smile slipping onto my lips.

"because you'll be waiting for a very, very long time." Darien shook softly with his laughter, as his arms came up around me, holding me to him as, he placed a kiss on the corner of my mouth.

"haven't you heard the bad guy always lives forever?" he smiled, stroking my hair, as he looked at me tenderly. i pecked him on the lips my heart swelling with tightness, "and so does my saviour" i grinned back, moving my head so i could rest it on his chest.