O N E

O  N  E

THE FIRST ENCOUNTER

He was my best friend.

No.

He wasn't just my best friend.

He is my rock, my anchor, my light. He is my everything in this damned world that was covered in the most beautiful fake diamonds.

He is the one that made me see the positive in anything. The one who kept me sane.

He is the one in the light.

And I intend to let it stay that way... even if it means that I would be completely be eaten by darkness.

Intrigued?

- - - - - - - - - - -

(12 Years ago)

The most ideal friendship to be made is when you were in your diapers. At least, that is what I concluded based to the novels that I read.

Yet in my case, I met him when I was a freshmen in high school. And no, it wasn't the first day of school or in the midst of a particular accident which could make me a damsel in distress.

No. 

I was sitting on a bench at the school courtyard, enjoying a book, when out of nowhere, a deep voice managed to wreck my bubble.

"The main guy will die in the end, which leads his girl to be in thirst of revenge."

To say I was annoyed is an understatement. I literally want to flip the bench I was sitting- mind you, the bench is permanently glued in the school ground. Yet instead, I snapped up my head in his direction and sent the most vicious glare I could manage.

The guy, who looks older than me, only smiled in return and sat beside me. The nerve!

"The second book is more brutal, believe me." He continued in a very convincing manner. His eyes were shining in mischief.

I want to groan in annoyance. So I did. Not wanting to waste time further, I huffed as I gathered my things and stood up to leave.

"Hey wait!" he called. I don't know what got into me, but I stopped mid-stride. I turned around to face the spoiler of the millennium, with a scowl on my face, yet only greeted with a 'click' sound from his camera that I failed to notice.

He put his camera away from his face and stared at it before bursting into a laughing fit. By then, I was livid.

"Jerk." I said through gritted teeth, and turned my heels to really go away from the rude and annoying weirdo.

As I was about to pass the school gate, a familiar honk was released behind me. There I saw my childhood friend.

Xavier.

He wasn't my best friend. And in school we don't get together, I guess it's because of the social gap we have.

Aside from the fact that he was a junior while I'm a freshman. He was 16 and I was 14. Xavier is on the top of his game; the popular one. Rich, with good looks, although he sucks at history, he still aced the other academics. And let's not forget that he is the MVP player of our basketball team.

On the other hand, I'm the plain Jane of the school. Not a loner, nor a geek weirdo, just your average teen that just blends in the background. The only thing I excel at is running. I was the best in track at the freshmen division. Gotta give the credits to Xavier for his given errands since we were little.