You're A Mutant

"May we sit here? The place is quite full, and I'm afraid we can't find any other seats." You looked up from the book you were trying to enjoy to see two handsome men standing in front of your table. Startled and a bit flustered, you politely replied, "O-of course. No one's sitting there."

The man who spoke smiled and took a seat across from you. The other man took the one next to you. Thinking that was all they needed from you, you tried to go back to reading your book.

A few minutes later, though, the first man spoke up again, "Extraordinary."

You looked up to see he was staring intently at you. Eyebrows furrowed in confusion, you asked, "Excuse me?"

"Absolutely extraordinary. You, of course. I mean, the amount of control you've mastered over something so powerful. And so quickly! You're, what? Early twenties?"

"Y-yes. Wait, I'm sorry. Who are you?"

The stranger seemed to be surprised to be asked such a question, then he turned embarrassed and said, "Oh, I'm sorry. Where are my manners? I'm Charles Xavier, and this is Erik Lennshner." He motioned to the other man, who gave a small wave and a polite smile. Then the first man, Charles, continued, "We're here to ask you if you'd join us. We'd undoubtedly need someone with your powers."

"W-what are you talking about?" The confusion still enveloped you.

"You don't have to hide it from us. I'm," he smiled coyly, quickly placing two fingers to his temple, "One too. So is Erik."

"I'm sorry. I don't understand. You're one what?"

"A mutant of course."

"A... What?"

The other man, Erik, spoke up, "A mutant. You're a mutant. So are we." He motioned to himself and the other man.

You bit your lip and continued to stare blankly at the men, now itching to leave.

"Do you really not know?" Charles looked taken aback.

Exasperated and feeling uneasy, you gathered your things while you replied, "No, I'm afraid I don't. Now if you'll excuse me..." You trailed off as you stood and began to make your way toward the door. You just made it outside, but the man named Erik grabbed your wrist to stop you.

Surprised, you looked down at your wrist, then up at the man. You quickly shook your arm out of his grasp. Immediately, he put up his hands in a placating gesture and said, "We only want to help you. What you are–What we are–is mutants. We have powers that most humans couldn't imagine."

"I-I don't-"

"I know you're confused, but please, trust us." You gasped as you heard the voice in your head and placed your hand on your forehead. Finally, you looked up to see Charles with his fingers to his temple, staring intently at you. You continued to stare in shock and Charles pleaded out loud this time, "Please, allow us to help. Come with us to my school. We can help you discover your powers and teach you how to use them for good."

You were still befuddled and in quite a state of shock. Your mind tried to take it all in, but then Erik added, "Charles is telepathic and I control metal. See?" He lifted his arm and your bracelet lifted as well, bringing your own arm to his. Your eyes widened and your head went wobbly. You managed to croak out, "This can't be happening," before your knees went weak and you fainted on the sidewalk.

As soon as you collapsed, the two men were there to catch you and immediately started arguing.

"Oh, fantastic. Now, look what you've done. I told you not to push her too far!" Charles hissed at Erik as they both tried to hold up the girl.

"I'm not the one who was in her head!" Erik argued back. Charles huffed and rolled his eyes, "Fine. We both could have handled that better."

Erik shrugged, "Besides, they usually don't react like that when we recruit them. I think she's overreacting." Finally, they were able to prop her against a wall.

In between assuring every passerby that she was fine, Charles responded in defense of the unconscious girl, "That's usually when they know what they are already. She didn't even know she was a mutant! As far as she was concerned, she was human when she woke up this morning."

Erik sighed and began to pick up the girl, "Come on, help me get her in the car. Let's get her to the mansion."

"Oh, that's just great! Add kidnapping to my list of felonies committed recently!" Charles hissed.

"It's not kidnapping! We're helping! She was seconds from agreeing to come with us anyway! Now will you help me with her, or not?" Erik started toward the car, carrying the girl by himself. Charles groaned and hurried over to help. It was going to be an interesting story to explain later...