Eggnog ~ Day Four

It was a week before Christmas, and to help lighten the mood Coulson went out and bought the team some fresh cookies from a local bakery, hot chocolate, and eggnog. He proudly sat his haul in front of the agents that had gathered in the kitchen.

"I thought to bring some Christmas cheer into the base, why not bring some Christmas food?" Coulson stated.

"Um, because eggnog is disgusting," Fitz said.

"And when was the last time you had eggnog? I've never even seen you drink it before, and we've known each other for ten years!" Simmons argued back.

"I was a little boy on vacation to the states, and I wanted to try American holiday foods, so my mum bought me some eggnog. As soon as it hit my tastebuds, I ran to the sink in our hotel and spit it out. I haven't had any since."

"Oh, Fitz," Jemma rolled her eyes. "You're telling me you haven't had it in nearly twenty years? Surely your tastebuds have changed, it happens all the time."

Bobbi whispered something in Daisy's ear, which made both of them laugh. Joey looked utterly confused, not having known the scientists for long.

"I can't believe you two are arguing over eggnog," Daisy said, forcing down a giggle.

"It's not the eggnog, it's the fact that he hasn't tried something since he was a child and immediately assumes that it's as horrible as he remembers," Jemma replied.

Joey was still confused at why Bobbi seemed to be having a laughing fit and why the two scientists, Simmons and Fitz, were arguing over something so silly. He had a lot to learn.

"Man up Fitz and just take a swig," May said out of the blue.

Bobbi laughed even harder at that, and Daisy joined in this time. Fitz was red in the face with anger.

"Well maybe I will!"

Fitz grabbed the bloody carton of eggnog, got a glass out of the cabinet, and poured a glass of the thick, creamy liquid. For a moment he panicked, why was he doing this again? Then he turned around and saw the faces of his supposed friends and remembered that he was angry. He snatched the glass from the counter and lifted it to his lips. As he took a gulp, he slowly realized that he liked it. He really, really liked it. He finished off the glass and licked his lips, forcing down a grin. He wasn't going to seem like an idiot in front of the team, and especially not in front of Jemma. The team stared at him, shocked that he had taken the plunge.

"There! Are you happy? I bloody hat-" Fitz hesitated. "Hated it like I used to okay?"

But Jemma knew better. She was his best friend, possibly more, after all. She crossed her arms and stared at him directly in his eyes, but he couldn't meet her gaze.

"You're bluffing," she said simply, not letting her eyes drop from his,

Bobbi and Daisy were especially trained on this moment. They didn't want to miss a single beat.

"N-no I'm not. I'm about to throw up, it was so sicke-" Fitz started.

"Oh, shut up! I know you liked it, just admit that you did."

Joey was more confused now than ever before, Bobbi and Daisy were biting their lips, waiting to see how the moment would play out.

"No, Jemma! I will not admit anything!"

"Say it, Fitz. Say it!" Jemma said.

Her sweet and commanding voice was taking over him, he was pretty sure she was brainwashing him.

"Fine! I liked it. In fact, I loved it!"

"I knew it," Jemma said smugly, a grin creeping across her face. She threw a wink at him. "Love ya."

"Yeah, sure you do," Fitz said sarcastically. "But for the record, I love you too."

Everyone's jaw had practically hit the floor. Bobbi and Daisy were no longer smiling, too busy internally fangirling. Joey gave up on trying to figure them out and May's eyes were showing how startled she really was. Coulson just stared. Luckily Mack and Hunter weren't in the room or else it would've been much louder.

Jemma grabbed a snickerdoodle, turned on her heel, and headed for her bunk, still grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

"Told you so."

She walked out, leaving everyone staring after her, but turning their gazes back to Fitz. Fitz just blushed and hurried after Jemma.

Daisy placed her hand on Coulson's shoulder and finally spoke up. "I think you should bring eggnog more often."