Chapter 1

Jai and I were sitting on an old wooden bench. My eyes wandered around the teenager filled field in front of us, noticing a few people were glancing our way. This had been happening ever since Jai and I began our friendship a month ago. 

       I glanced at Jai who was smoking - as usual - instead of eating his lunch. His eyes were also wandering the field, but he didn't seem to notice others staring at us. Maybe he was used to it - being as hot as he was - or dense. 

       "Why are you staring at me?" Jai asked, still looking away from me.

       "Why are people always staring at us?" I asked, ignoring his question.

       "They're probably shocked that you have a friend." The corner of his lip lifted up. "It's such a plot twist."

       I rolled my eyes. "Shush. They stare at you too."

        "Cause I'm stupid enough to be friends with you."

        My jaw dropped and I pushed his shoulder. He chuckled and I found myself smiling. In just a month we had formed a close friendship. It was random, but somehow we clicked well. I guessed it was due to the fact that we were both fucked up.

       "I have an important question for you," Jai suddenly said.

       "What?"

       "Why did you stop smoking?" He looked at me, his face as serious as possible.

       "I don't know," I sighed. "Killing my lungs wasn't as fun as I thought it would be."

       That was true. The first time was enjoyable, but the second was definitely not. I felt like I was intoxicating my lungs - which I was - and that turned me off. I didn't know how Jai still smoked.

      "Wow," Jai simply said. "You're not hardcore enough."

      "Why don't you stop?" I suddenly asked, being serious.

       "Are you asking me to give up the one thing I love?"

       I looked down. Jai had told me that he did this to relax himself from the cruelty of the world, and I understood that. I really did, but I didn't want to get a phone call a few years from now telling me he had died from lung cancer. That was why, something in me hurt every time I saw him smoke.

       "Scarlett... I can't," Jai said, snapping me out of my thoughts. "I'm sorry."

       "Don't apologize." I forced a smile. "Your life, your choices."

       I noticed a bit of sadness in his eyes, so I looked away. The thing with Jai was, we never got serious. Even with our own problems, we kept them to ourselves. That way, even for a second, we could feel like - almost - sane teenagers.

*****

        I took off my shoes quietly, noticing that my dad was home. Frowning, I wondered why he was since he had work. Then groaning quietly, I realized he would be in a bad mood.   

       Quietly, I then moved to the narrow staircase nearby and rushed up them. On my tippy-toes, I ran up and into my room. Once the door to my room was closed, I realized I hadn't been breathing. I took a deep breath in.

       But then, I heard my dad scream, "Scarlett!"

       I jumped. My heart stopped for a second, but then I sighed. I knew better than to get relaxed at home.

       Sighing tiredly, I opened the door and walked over to my dad's room. The door was opened so I stepped in, and saw him sitting on his bed. A large beer bottle was in his hand, and I mentally sighed as I noticed most of the bottle was already done. This was not a good sign.

       "Yes," I said, hoping to get out of there soon.

       He looked at me and I felt almost appalled by his face. It wasn't that he was hideous - although he was nowhere near attractive with his bald head and extra hundred pounds. I felt appalled by the fact that this man was as horrible as it came. The fact that he was a respected businessman was insane.

        "Scarlett," he slurred. "You don't have any friends, right?"

       "Nope," I lied, rocking on my heels nervously.

       I had no idea why he was asking me this. With Jai on my mind, I hoped he didn't know about him. With my dad ruining everything that ever mattered to me, I hoped they never meet.

       "You're such a loser." He laughed to himself. "I expected this from you."

       I just stared at him. Five years ago I might've gotten offended, but the words just brushed passed me. After years of living in this hellhole, my skin was tough.

       "Anyways," my dad continued on. "I'm going to cancel your phone plan."

       My heart stopped for a moment. Even if I didn't use it to call or text anyone, I needed it. Just for emergencies, it was nice having it at my side. I didn't understand why this was happening.

       "Why?" I asked.

       "Why do you need it?" he retorted.

       I sighed. There was no point in fighting with him. He was always right and I was always wrong in his eyes. He would be deaf to what I would say.

       "Fine," I eventually said.

       I didn't bother waiting for him to say anything else as I turned around and walked off. My heartbeat picked up as I walked to my room, shutting the door behind me. The real reason I wanted to keep my phone was to be safe from them. Like I told Jai, if things got too bad I would be out of there. With no easy access to police anymore, I felt nervous.

      I didn't know why, but I walked over to my mirror and stared at myself. My face was round. My hair was straight and black. That was the only good feature I had. I smiled sadly as I took in my pale skin. My parents never let me out of the house, so I never got the chance to tan. I then noticed how cold my eyes looked. With everything I'd seen, I expected my blue, round eyes to be like this. Even if they wished everything they saw was a lie, they were tired out.

       I sighed and walked away. Even if life sucked, this was it. There was nothing I could do to change it, and I had accepted that a long time ago. It is what it is, right?