Three

[ad captandum vulgus / to capture the crowd]

Normally, the Big House was a happy sight for Tessa. It sat like a crowning jewel atop Half-Blood Hill, its windows always reflecting the sunlight pouring down on the valley. However, as Chiron led Kaden and Tessa into it, it was almost like a shadow fell upon the blue house.

Chiron trotted into the living room, and motioned for Tessa and Kaden to take a seat. "Please," he said, trying for a smile.

Tessa's heart pounded, and she tried to calm herself down. Stuff like this was normal. Kaden and Tessa normally fought together, and were respected throughout camp. Maybe it was nothing. Maybe there was a rabid raccoon in the basement that needed Kaden's charmspeak and Tessa's water powers to be removed. Definitely not anything to do with Tessa.

She took a ragged breath, her knuckles white on Tempest's hilt. "What's wrong?"

Chiron paced the floors in front of them. "As you know, our night watch here at camp is only a minor precaution every now and again, yes?"

Kaden nodded, his eyebrows knit together. "Yes," he answered. "Why, has the barrier been weakened?"

Chiron shook his head. "No, thank the gods. However, something rather...malevolent has been reported to be making small attacks recently. The scale of these attacks is growing, but the strangest part is that the campers who have faced this force say that it resembled the things they each feared most."

The gears in Tessa's brain began to turn. "So you want us to figure out what this thing is?"

Chiron nodded. "You both are two of the best fighters and strategists at camp, aside from Athena's children. Now, I won't require you to begin your shifts or planning just yet. I've set up a sort of rotation with Sophia."

Tessa suppressed a groan. Sophia was head counselor of the Athena cabin, and while Tessa normally got along with Sophia's siblings, the head honcho herself was a nightmare. Always trying to butt in on capture the flag, always trying to take the quests. She had some good strategies every now and again, but she really just got on Tessa's nerves. It didn't help that their godly parents were natural rivals.

"Wonderful." Tessa forced a smile. "Well, when Sophia is tired of guarding the camp, I trust she'll give us a ring."

Chiron frowned. The old centaur was like a second father to Tessa, considering she had never actually seen Poseidon before in her life. He knew just as well that something was up, but thankfully, he didn't push the subject.

"On a lighter note, I have good news regarding the coming weeks Capture the Flag game." He cleared his throat.

Tessa felt her nerves relax, but butterflies of excitement bloom in her stomach. The coming weekend was the Fourth of July festival that the camp always threw, and whoever got to kick off the weekend by leading Capture the Flag essentially became a great honor for three days. It was even better if you won.

"As you know, this weekend is the Fourth of July celebration. I'm fully aware of the limited popularity that comes with the title of being a captain on either team, but trust me when I say neither of you need more of that to go to your heads." His eyes glinted in amusement. "So I am trusting you both to co-lead the blue team."

Tessa's eyes widened. Instantly, strategies bloomed in her head. She would be able to choose tonight at dinner who would be on her team. She needed the Apollo kids, what with Reese's archery. The Hephaestus kids were on the red team last time, as chosen by Kaden, but now it was her turn.