The Winter Sylph's Bride

"Little Ana, will you not speak with me?" The sylph was here again. Every night she would see him perched on the tree nearest to the bedroom window. His long white hair moved along with the winter breeze like leaves on a tree. He was beautiful with bright amethyst eyes that were slits at the pupils like cat eyes. They stared at her with affection.

Don't speak to the fae, child. Her grandmother would say. Winter is their season. But how does a human make a fae go away? Her grandmother had no answer for that. This was getting ridiculous.

Ana sighed and in a quick motion shoved her grandmother's quilt off of her. She smoothed out the crinkles from her blue nightgown and moved quietly enough, so as to not to disturb her sleeping sisters.

The sylph watched her movements with fascination and amazement. To human standards she was neither pretty or ugly, but to him, she was a goddess moving with a silent grace. Her cheeks were rosy and her eyes were golden brown embers that burned with determination. Simply beautiful.

"What do you want?" Ana spoke, her soft voice firm, but unkind. "You've been coming here for five nights."

The sylph smiled. "Indeed I have. Do you remember this?" He pulled out an arrow shaft that had dried blood on it. Ana's eyes widened in recognition. The sylph continued. "I came here to say thank you. You have saved my precious steed and friend."

Ana could only stare in shock. It couldn't be.

Months ago Ana ventured into the forbidden woods where only the bravest hunters trek. On one particular day, she stumbled upon a large injured buck lying in the grass and weeds. There was an arrow embedded in its muscled flank, much like the one the sylph has. Ana pulled the arrow out, but the tip was poisoned. She quickly realized it and tirelessly she worked finding the right herbs to save the buck's life. When the gentle beast had the energy, it fled into the woods. Ana returned home and was scolded for ruining her dress.

"Is that all?" She asked the sylph. Her gaze never left the sylph's for fear of what he might do.

The sylph shook his head. The light silvery streaks of his hair pushed away the flurries of snow that rested on his head. His eyes became serious. "I am quite taken with you, Ana." He purred. " Not only you are beautiful, you have a rare kindness that is unlike anything I have seen. Will you be my bride?"

Ana stared at the fae in shock, but her heart skipped a beat. Never once had anyone called her beautiful. Maybe her sisters, yes, but never her. "No." She said quickly. "I will not. Please leave and do not bother me again."

But the fae did not leave, at least not completely. He returned yet again the next night to ask the same question. "Little Ana, will you be my bride?"

Ana's answer was the same. "No." He left once more, but on her windowsill she found a white winter flower. For three wintry nights the fae would return and each time a white winter flower was left behind.

Confused by the sylphs behavior, she asked him. "Why do you do this?"

The sylph smiled and said, "because you are worth it." Once more a blush would creep up on Ana's face and her heart would skip a beat.

As the cold nights went by, Ana would eventually find herself opening up to the sylph. They talked about their lives and worlds. She would talk about her sisters, her dreams to be a doctor, and her favorite books. In return, the sylph would speak about his life as a warrior, a brother and his love of nature. When the sylph asked if she would marry him, her answer was the still the same. "No," she would politely say, but each night she found the sylph becoming more handsome. The way he stared at her was nothing like the way village boys would look at her. Those purple orbs stared at her with admiration, respect and even something more she was afraid to admit.

One day Ana's little sister got really sick.

"Why are you so sad, my lovely Ana?" The Sylph was sitting on his usual spot on one of the thick branches of the tree by her window when it had lightly begun to snow in the the night.

"My sister is terribly ill. The doctors say she will not make it." Tears began to collect in her eyes. "Its how my mother and father died."

"Ana, open the window." The sylph gently commanded.

A trust was forged between the two now and Ana knew that the Sylph would not harm her or her family, so she did. As soon as the barrier that separated them was gone, the sylph wrapped his arms around her. A single hand pressed the small of her back and pulled her close to his chest, while the other stroked her thick brown hair. Ana began to cry more fiercely. "Shh, my beautiful Ana." He pulled away from her and gently and grabbed her chin making her look into his eyes. "I will make make it better. Wait here."

She watched the sylph gracefully leap and float before disappearing from her windowsill. Already Ana was missing his touch and his scent of the woods. When he returned, there was a skin flask in his arms. "Make her drinks this. It is made with the magic of elves."

Skepticism must have shown on Ana's face for the sylph spoke. "It will work, Ana. I promise."

That night Ana made her sister drink the potion and over next few weeks she got better. The village doctor could not believe the news and neither could Ana's older sisters and grandparents.

In the weeks of her sister's recovery, Ana did not see the sylph. When she was not doing her chores, her mind was filled with thoughts of him, their conversations, his gentle touch, his woodsy smell with a hint of cinnamon... It was then Ana realized it. She missed him greatly.

Nights past as she waited by the window for him to come, but still nothing.

Please, be safe. She thought.

The night the Sylph returned it was nearing Christmas, snow coated the land and her grandfather's house. Everything was pristine white, illuminated by soft glow of the full moon.

"My sweet Ana, won't you open the window for me?" A familiar deep voice purred.

Upon hearing the deep rumble of his voice, Ana awoke and sprinted to her window to open it. The sylph's boots touched the creaky wooden floors with a faint thud. She didn't waste a moment. Ana threw her arms around his neck. Her fingers curled around his silver hair and cloak.

Surprise had taken the sylph, but slowly his hands came around her back pulling her close to him. He rested his chin at the top of her head and breathed in her scent. She was finally in his arms.

"I missed you." Ana whispered into a slender pointed ear. "Where were you?"

He kissed the top of her head. "I was fighting in war for the elven queen for giving you their healing water. I couldn't see you until my service was completed. I'm sorry." He kissed her brow. "I am so sorry."

"You still should have told me." Ana said. The anger and worry was evident in her voice. They were going to have a long talk about this, but for now she needed him. She needed this. Ana closed her eyes. "I'm glad you're safe."

The sylph smiled. "My beautiful Ana." He stroke her hair and kissed her cheek. "Will you be my bride?"

Ana grinned widely. Instead of replying, she moved her lips to his and kissed him.