Chapter 33

"Hey hey why did you shoot me? You should be shooting the bad guy!" I exclaimed as Dylan pressed one wrong button and shot my virtual soldier.

"Cool down man. You're still alive." Jake smirked and kept on firing at our enemy.

"Yeah, Zach. Just keep shooting, stop whining." Dylan agreed with Jake as he trapped another enemy.

We were having an intense battle, when my mum called for me.

"Zachary? Can you come down here?" My mum's high pitched voice reached to my ears.

Well, that caused me to be distracted for a second.

"Zach! Why the hell didn't you dodge that bullet?" Jake stepped on my feet in anger.

"Jake! Why the hell did you step on my feet? In case you're temporarily deaf, my mum called for me." I placed the game controller on the bed since my virtual soldier's dead.

"Oh. Sorry." Jake apologised with his eyes fixated on the television screen.

"Mum? What do you need me for?" I questioned while walking towards the stairs.

"In the kitchen, Zach."

I obediently followed my mum's request and found her chatting with Ella's mum.

"Er.. Hi, Mrs Chance." I greeted and scratched the back of my neck awkwardly.

What I did not expect was, Mrs Chance to turn around and looked at me with extremely sad eyes. My eyes widened in shock.

"Zachary, have you seen or talk to Ella recently?" Mrs Chance voice cracked a little at the end.

Confused to why she'd ask me, I simply stared at her.

"Zach, it's rude to stare." My mum reminded me sternly.

"Oh, nope I didn't, Mrs Chance."

Mrs Chance's face flashed with disappointment and despair.

"Lately, Ella has been acting weirdly. In the past, the latest she return home was 9. She'd been coming home as late as 1 a.m. this past week. Even if I asked her when she had went or why she came home this late, she'll just ignore me and her father. I am completely clueless to why she had changed so much. I asked all her close friends, but no one seems to know why." Mrs Chance eyes are filled with tears and one tear escaped, followed by uncontrollable flow of tears.

I immediately grabbed a tissue box for Mrs Chance. The feeling of guilt flooded my mind. I knew what had made Ella changed. However, I couldn't bring myself to explain it to Mrs Chance. I am the reason why her daughter became someone we all couldn't recognise.
____________________________________________

Rachel's POV

"Rachel, do you think this outfit suits me?" My mum was modeling in front of the mirror as she pondered aloud.

"Yes, mum!" I answered while giving two thumbs up.

If you thought my mum would be satisfied with my answer. You are absolutely wrong. She turned around with an arched eyebrow and hands on her slim hips.

"Rachel Williams, can you give me your honest opinion?"

Uh oh.

"Mum, I really think you look absolutely fabulous in this outfit." I nodded my head a few more times than necessary.

I heard my mum huffed but her mouth did twitched a little upwards. Phew! At least I'm in a safe zone right now.

"Rachel, go and walk around. You don't have to keep following me." My mum gave me a push towards the exit. Whenever I'm out shopping with my mum, I would just follow her. I have no idea what to look anyways. I don't even buy things, unless it's necessary. This bother my mum a lot.

"But mum.." I protested with no avail.

"No, Rachel. You've got to behave like normal 17 year olds. They don't tag along with their mothers 24/7."

I walked out of the shop with my head hung low. You get the feeling when you're all alone but you've got no where to go? If you get it, that's great. If you don't, it's alright.

I wandered around the huge shopping mall with no particular place in mind. Until, something or rather someone caught my attention.

Ella was jaywalking across the street with a group of.. Odd looking friends. Since when she's friends with all those people?

I was at the second story of the mall, but dashed my way to the opposite parking lot. Pushing past other people so that I could reach there in time. I was still gasping for breath as I approached the group of people.

"Ella!" I shouted so as to grab her undivided attention.

Ella whipped around her wavy brown hair to look at who was shouting her name. Ella's mouth formed the letter 'o' as she saw me.

"Hey, Ella. Is that chick your friend?" One of the red head guy pointed at me with unsteady hands. He couldn't even stand properly as he kept on swaying left and right. He actually looked drunk.

The stinky smell of alcohol floated into my nose when I walked nearer to them. Oh boy. What have Ella gotten herself into?

"Ella. Why didn't you reply our messages? Your parents are worried sick for you." I asked Ella but she wouldn't look at me.

"It's none of your damn business, Rachel." Ella spat out those words like venom.

"What? This chick is Rachel?" The drunkard red head yelled as if we're all deaf.

"Get out of here, you slut!" A rainbow haired girl forcefully pushed me backwards.

I stumbled a little but managed to regain my balance. There was a uproar of agreement for me to scram. If I was scared, I would turn back and run away. On the contrary, I didn't know what I was thinking when I stood rooted to the ground. Maybe I was not thinking at all.

"No I won't get out of here, without Ella. You keep that filthy mouth of yours shut." I took a brave step forward towards the rainbow haired girl.

Rainbow haired girl raised her hand and approached me with a look of pure hatred. I was prepared to defend myself from the slap when Ella stopped her.

"Hey, it's okay. She's not worth it." Ella advised rainbow girl.

"Ella.. Follow me and go home, alright?" I questioned Ella as the rest of the group started to encircle me.

"Why would you even care? No one's here to see you acting, so drop it." Ella hissed in anger.

"I really care for you, even if you don't believe it."

"Shut up and get the hell out of here! Ella didn't have to waste her breath speaking to you!" The red head guy approached me with wobbly steps.

Instinctively, I moved back and hit against one of their people while doing so. Red head guy kept on walking until he was right in front of me. He leant forward and I tried my best not to puke on his oily face.

"Leave quietly because I wouldn't want to lay a finger on such a pretty face." His breath reeked of alcohol fanned my face. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ella getting into a car with her new friends.

Author's note :
I've decided to spice up the story with this ;) Why do you think Ella changed? :( I hope you guys have enjoyed this chapter! :) Please remember to vote/comment/share the story, if you liked it! Thanks for reading! ;D