Chapter 8-Memories

The doctors said it wasn't a big break, and that Sans would be fine after a couple weeks. Possibly before Christmas, if he healed fast. Major injuries can't be healed with food, especially with the HP filled all the way. They gave his a cast, but they couldn't do much for his Soul. It was cracked, they couldn't do anything about it. It didn't seem to be fatal, or even painful, in any way. He seemed fine, in fact, except for a bit of discomfort at the cast. 

"Why do I have to have the cast?" He asked me, a day or so after he'd gotten it. He hadn't gone back to school yet, and we hadn't done anything with his magic, but it'd been dormant since the incident. I just hoped it wasn't dormant forever. He could survive with powerful magic and a low HP, but without the magic, life would be hard, if not impossible. 

"So you can heal properly. You don't want the bone to heal wrong, do you?" I asked, turning to him. I'd taken a break from my work for a while, seeing as both of my boys needed me now. 

"What happens if it does?" He asked, and I could see the mischief in his eyes. He really didn't like this cast, huh?

"They'll have to re-break it until it heals properly." I replied, patting his shoulder. His face fell, and he nodded. 

Over the next week, he seemed to become more and more aggravated with it. Christmas was coming fast, and all of his new friends were excited for the little snow that fell this time of year. I was worried it would remind him of our old home, but he was to upset about not being able to play in the snow. 

Finally, Christmas Eve came, and Sans was luckily excited for that. He begged to stay up to see Santa, but he still passed out after about an hour. I carried him up to bed, and made a decision. I'd promised myself I'd wait, but, it seemed as good a time as any.

                                                                                         ************************

"Dad, Dad! Wake up, it's Christmas!" I smiled some at the childish enthusiasm, but it quickly disappeared when I realized what time it was. 

"Sans, its early. Go back to bed."

"Nope! I'l open presents without you!" I sighed, but gently pushed him away so I could get up. He cheered, and started jumping up and down on the bed. I grabbed Papyrus, who was still asleep (lucky kid) and headed downstairs. I'd agreed to putting our tree down there, as long as it was far form the lab part.

Sans started ripping into presents right away. I just watched, waiting for the excitement to wear out, and the fatigue to set in. I had completely forgotten about the last minute present until I heard him gasp.

"Dad! How'd you get this?" He asked, holding onto the light blue hoodie like it was a lifeline. 

"Your mother let me take it with me when I left." I replied, smiling down at him. I hadn't been sure if he would be sad, but it seemed that wasn't the case. He quickly pulled it on and stood up to do the zipper. The sleeves went far past his hands, and it reached the floor relatively easily, but his smile was priceless. 

"It fits perfectly!" He said, smiling back at me. 

"How about, if you're careful you don't trip, you can go out and play with your friends, as long as you wear it." I suggested, watching him pull the hood up. His eyes were covered, but his smile was still visible, and it was definitely growing.   

"Thanks Dad! Can we have breakfast now though?"

"Of course. Pancakes sound good?"

"Yeah! I want ketchup on mine!'

I laughed as he raced to the kitchen, careful not to trip n the long hoodie behind him. Sans was looking more and more like his mother everyday, and with that hoodie of hers he truly looked like her son. I was proud to say he was mine too.