Chapter one

“Shut the door behind you Rose,” Professor Mosley told me. The transfiguration teacher had given me a detention after I’d turned my drawing pin into a rat (I was meant to be turning it into a paperclip) the rat ran across the class room floor while nearly all the girls were standing on their chair screaming (half the boys were too!) I wasn’t, I was just sitting there laughing, well until Mosley hauled me off to his office. He thinks I meant to turn my pin into a rat. I didn’t. I may have inherited my mother’s brain but not in transfigurations. Mosley had kept me in the office until the end of the lesson. All of my class mates had headed off to dinner while I was stuck with Mosley, he made me keep trying until I succeeded in turning my pin into a paper clip and then he made me write ‘I will not set rodents free in the classroom’ one hundred times, meaning I missed dinner.

“Hello Rose Weasley,” someone murmured as I left the office. I turned to see Scorpius Malfoy standing in the shadows next to the door,

“Hello Scorpius Malfoy,” I said back.

“Mosley had you in detention again?” he asked,

“Um, I turned my drawing pin into a rat,”

“Daring, you could be trouble if you tried…” I looked at him inquisitively; I wasn’t sure where he was going with this, “of course you could never be as daring as me…” I folded me arms,

“Oh yeah?” I was always willing to prove myself against Scorpius, our parents hated each other when they were at school and they rivalry rubbed off on to us, I wouldn’t say we hate each other but we are always trying to outdo each other.

“Yeah,” Scorpius remarked,

“Prove it,” I exclaimed. Scorpius smiled to himself,

“Ok, I know how we can decide who is the most daring,” he paused for a moment, “a dare competition!” Even in the darkness of the corridor I could see a glint in his eye, he’d been planning this one for a while,

“Ok, let’s do it,” I announced, I offered my hand to him, he didn’t shake it, instead he said,

“Let’s spice it up a bit, the looser becomes the winners servant for the day!” then he offered me his hand, I thought about it for a moment them shook it.

“I dare you-“

“No, no, no,” Scorpius interrupted, “it was my idea so I get to dare you first,”

“Go on them,” I snapped,

“I dare you too….” He paused a minute, thinking, “I dare you to set a load of Doxys free in Mosley’s classroom, tomorrow morning! Call it revenge!” I looked at him, bewildered,

“Where am going to get a load of Doxys from?” I cried, he smirked,

“You’ll think of something or else…” he didn’t need to finish the sentence.

“Blue griffin,” I sighed. The fat lady swung open to reveal the Gryffindor common room, students were scattered about chatting, reading or their doing homework. In the little corner seat in the far right corner sat my two best friends, Daisy Harper and Ingrid Abbot. I slipped into the seat, next to Daisy.

“Hungry?” Daisy asked. I nodded. I had been too busy thinking about where to get some Doxys from to think about the empty feeling in my tummy but now that Daisy had mentioned it I was starving. Ingrid smiled and passed me a slice of cold, pizza. I took it greedily and scoffed it.

“You’ll never guess what we saw today, Rose,” Ingrid said, “Yeah, we saw Professor Goldberg setting up for his class tomorrow, he had lots of weird creatures, he had a Bogart, some Doxys-“

“Doxys?” I cried,

“Yeah.” I jumped up,

“Excuse me, I have to do something.” I ran out of the common room and down the stairs. I had to get too Professor Goldberg’s classroom. Goldberg was the defence against the dark arts teacher and her class room was three floors below the common room. I ran down the corridor towards the classroom. When I arrived there was nobody about. All of the classrooms were dark. I carefully opened the door and peered in. I could hear cackling from the far side of the classroom. The Doxys. I tiptoed over to the noise. In the corner of the classroom stood six or more cages piled on top of each other each of the cages were filled with about ten Doxy’s. I snatched one of the cages off the top of the pile and quickly headed to the door. I had to hide the Doxy’s until morning. I decided the best place to hide the cage was in Mosley’s classroom then I could just pick it up in the morning. I moved quickly and silently down the hall towards the classroom. The door was wide open but it was pitch back inside. I put the cage down by the door and hurried back to the common room.