Bilbo

Bilbo Baggins was a simple creature that was most content with simple pleasures. Good food and a comfortable bed was all he needed. Perhaps someone else would make his time in this mountain a little less lonely, but it couldn't be helped. The only company he had now was an abundance of deserted rooms and a broody dragon, whom of which buried himself under piles and piles of gold long ago.

Bilbo sighed as he stepped into the massive dwarven kitchen. Towards the back was a wide door which led to the pantry. It was only just starting to empty, giving Bilbo enough food to last the next few years to come.

When Bilbo was a child, he would eat six meals a day. With all the busy work and running around he had to do now, it slowly began to cut down to three meals. He didn't have enough time to stop a chore and run across the mountain to eat. No, it was simply easier to pack a meal and carry it with him. Half the time, he didn't have the stomach to eat. Not after what the dragon had him do.

Oh, the disgusting things he was made to do. Fortunately, Bilbo was a quick learner and a decent worker. Having been made to dispense of what was left over from the dragon's meals and clean the halls of the dead dwarrow, his stomach hardened very quickly.

It took him almost a whole year to make a small area liveable again. While Bilbo only really needed one room, he took it upon himself to fix what ever he could and clean what ever he was able. He felt he owed it to the dwarves who would soon return to the mountain.

It was during his time in the first days that he had discovered what he believed to be one of many dwarven kitchens across the kingdom. It was this that had him searching everywhere, exploring where he could reach in the mountain. The dragon, when he had invaded the kingdom, had destroyed many staircases and arching walkways, leaving debris in their place. This made exploring further hard in some areas.

As Bilbo wandered the halls, he could almost picture the rich bustling Kingdom of Erebor in his head. He could see the dwarrows and dwarrowdams, saying goodbye to their families in the morning, going about their job, and greeting their families once again in the evening. He could imagine the dwarrows and dwarrowdams keeping a stern eye on their young ones, making sure they didn't steal anything or run off while they had their backs turned.

The thought of such things made Bilbo's eyes go misty. When he was just a fauntling, he would run amongst the stalls and shops while his mother and father bought food and supplies. He remembered running ahead of his parents to their home, leaving the door wide open behind him. His father would scold him and his mother would tell him not to leave their home open so strangers could walk in because there are very important things in our home, my dear Bilbo.

It was not too long ago that he discovered a separate housing area, more secluded from the rest. Bilbo had only searched through three of them, the others hidden behind the mass of rubble that blocked off the rest of the hall and what lay beyond there. When he stepped inside, it was as if he stepped inside of one of his mother's stories.

"You see, Kings, Queens, Princes and Princesses, they are all very important people." His mother told him one night. The fire was burning low and gave off a warmth that seeped into Bilbo's bones, making his body relax and his eyes feel heavy.

"They have the finest clothes and the most expensive homes. Their drapes are made of fine silk and their crowns are embedded with jewels. The beds they sleep on make you feel like you are floating, resting upon the softest cloud in the sky. They take hot baths every night, soaking their bodies after a long day.

"They rule their kingdoms and their land, and while most are fair, there are those that are blinded by evil. Us hobbits love the simple things, such as nice meal or a soft bed. However, here are other races in the world and they do not appreciate what we do. They hold dark secrets within themselves. The dwarves have a fierce love of gold and jewels. Some say it even rivals that of a dragon." At the mention of a dragon, Bilbo gasped softly. Dragons were ancient creatures that were rarely ever seen. Most, if not all, believed them to be gone from Middle Earth. None have been seen for centuries, and if they have been seen, they have not been accounted for and written down any where.

"Men also have a desire for gold and riches, but they hunger for power more than anything. Men are greedy and selfish, caring only for themselves. I have meet many men on my travels, but I have only ever crossed one that was fair and just. His selflessness and compassion attracted those around him and that was what made him strong." Bilbo listened intently to his mother.

"You see Bilbo, it is not power, or gold, or jewels that make you strong, it is your heart. If you are able to stand up for someone or some thing and not step back and let bad things happen, then you are worthy. Of what, you may think. I shall tell you." Bilbo, full entranced by his mother's words and soothing voice, slowly closed his eyes, his weariness finally catching up with him after a long day of running around with his friends.

"Then you are worthy of power and destined for great things. Only then can you stand and lead." His mother's voice trailed off, seeing her son lying there silently. She reached out a hand and brushed her fingers through his curly hair. Leaning back and closing her eyes, she released a whisper of a sigh as she recalls the recurring dream she has had for months.

"You, my dear Bilbo, have an important destiny. The fate of Middle Earth rests on your shoulders. I know you will save us all when the time comes."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N : Hello! So I've had this in my head for a little while now, and I like what I've written so far (^^^). I have a few ideas of where I want this to go, but I'd like some other ideas too! What do you think? How should I introduce the company, or where should I bring them in? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Until Next Time! - Arianna