cinq

Classes started that Monday and Chris eyed my schedule jealously as he showed me the way to my first class.

"How the hell is it that you're a freshman and have a better schedule than me?" he asked, outraged. "Literally this is just all Theatre classes with one dance and an English!"

"Well I took most of my gen-ed classes in high school," I shrugged, "So I can mainly just take classes in my major."

"Lucky," Chris huffed, handing my schedule back to me.

"Did you not take any dual credit?" I asked him.

"I went to a fine arts school," he sighed, "Not really an option."

"Now I'm the jealous one!" I exclaimed, punching him in the arm, "I'd much rather have to take math in college than go to public school."

"The grass is always greener," Chris shrugged, "Come on, the Theatre department is this way."

When we got to the theatre complex, Chris showed me to my first class: Acting I. "I have a meeting in five, but meet me here after," he said as we reached the doorway. "I'll show you around."

"K, see ya!" I smiled.

He shot me a wink, "Good luck!"

The class wasn't held in a lecture hall, but in a large ballet room with mirrored walls. I was one of the last people to trickle in before a tall girl with a dark pixie cut stood at the front and announced, "Okay everybody take a seat! Class is about to start!" She clapped her hands and sugar coated her voice as if we were a class of five-year-olds. I knew that Acting I was being taught by a grad student but I didn't realize it would be an obnoxious sorority girl. I suppressed an eye-roll as she introduced herself.

"So, I'm Becky Evans," she paused as if we were supposed to be impressed, but everyone just exchanged awkward glances and stifled giggles. "Anyway," she perched her lips at her introduction's lack of effectiveness, "I'm a grad assistant this year so, even though I'm a student, I'll be teaching this class along with my assistant—stand up!" she barked at a girl sitting near the front of the room. She stood up next to Becky, her long, dark hair falling into her face. "This is Jessica," Becky introduced, "She'll be helping me teach the class this semester." Jessica gave a weak smile and waved before returning to where she had been sitting. "Okay, I'm going to pass around the syllabus, just take one and we'll go over it together—"

The next hour basically consisted of the entire class trying not to doze off as Becky droned on about class requirements and continuously quoted Anne Bogart in order to seem impressive. It wasn't until the last ten minutes of the class that anything she said really caught my attention.

"—everyone in the class will be required to audition for the musical—"

I perked up, listening intently as she continued.

"The winter musical is our biggest production every year, so juniors and seniors usually get the lead roles, but you all could use the audition experience." She gave us all a pitiful look which made me want to gag. "The auditions are partnered so you'll all have to find someone of the opposite sex to try out with. There's a dance you'll be required to learn. If you're in a dance class they'll cover it, otherwise you and your partner will have to schedule a time with a choreographer. You'll also have to prepare a duet and you'll do cold reads. If you get called back, not likely, you'll have to have a monologue so I would have one ready. Don't get your hopes too high though," she added with a smirk. "Sign-ups for the auditions are on the call board outside the greenroom. Any questions?" There was a quiet buzz as people mumbled to each other under their breath but no one spoke up. "In that case," Becky cleared her throat, regaining the class's attention, "we'll end for today. I'll see you all on Wednesday!"

I fell behind the rest of the class as they crowded the doorway. I stood near a mirror, pretending to inspect my winged eyeliner, and watched Becky's reflection in the mirror. She seemed like a royal bitch, but she was obviously important in the department. I decided to keep an eye on her. I could probably learn something about how to get cast in a show. Ha, I thought, imagine a freshman getting a lead in the musical. That would knock her down a few pegs. I flitted my glance over to the other girl who was still sitting cross-legged on the floor. Her hair covered most of her face as she stared intently down at the Macbook in her lap.

"Hey, Danny boy!" Chris' voice pulled me from my trance and I whipped around to find him standing in the doorway. "You ready?"

"Uh, yeah, sorry," I said, flinging my bag over my shoulder and scurrying over to him, "Fringe check."

"What?" he laughed, raising his eyebrows at me.

"Fringe check," I repeated, "The mirror. I was—never mind."

Chris shook his head with a chuckle. "You really are too gay to function, Dan Howell."

"I'll take that as a compliment," I winked. "So, how about that tour?"

"Right! This way!"

"So, tell me about this winter musical," I said casually as Chris led me through the hallways, "Do, uh, freshman ever get cast?"

"If they're good," Chris shrugged, "and if they work hard."

"But what about leads? Mostly upperclassmen huh?"

"No, not necess—ugh, did Becky tell you that?" Chris rolled his eyes.

"Yeah," I said.

"Of course she did," Chris said, irritated, "I know she's teaching your class, but don't listen to a word she says. She's just stuck up and power hungry. She uses fear as a tactic to prey on the weak."

"I'm not weak," I stated plainly.

"I know you're not," Chris laughed, "No weak person could fuck the president of Tri-Delta on his first day. You're pretty fierce, kid. I think if anyone could overthrow the reign Becky thinks she has on his department, it would be you."

"Think I should start with the musical?" I smirked.

"I couldn't think of a better time honestly."

"I need a partner though," I sighed, "for the audition."

"Oh yeah," Chris contorted his face, thinking, "You need someone strong; someone with a lot of talent. I'll make you a list an—"

"What about that Jessica girl?" I asked, catching Chris off guard.

"Jessica?" Chris ruffled his brow, "Jessica who?"

"I dunno," I shrugged. "The Jessica who helps Becky teach the class. Does she act?"

"Uh, she has acted," he replied, giving me a strange look, "I mean, she's on an acting scholarship, but she's never been cast. She mainly does production stuff. She's a hard worker, I've worked with her before, but I don't know about—"

"I think I'm gonna ask her to be my partner," I said, "Do you think she'll say yes?"

"Um, I dunno," Chris said, unsure, "I wouldn't spring it on her out of nowhere. Maybe get to know her a little first. She's kinda shy."

"Yeah, I got that."

"I mean, if you two got anywhere I'd be surprised, but the risk is worth how mad Becky would be about it," Chris said.

"Do you think Jessica would do that to Becky?" I asked, "Go behind her back?"

"Honestly, yes," he nodded, "They're friends, but I think pretty much everyone in this department secretly wants to see Becky go down in flames."

"Great," I sneered, "Let's make sure she does."

"Sweet plan," Chris said, staring at me with a look I couldn't read.

"What?"

"You are one fearless mother fucker," Chris replied. "I like that."